Lets talk suspensions & track length !..120-129-137 or ?

chez-nous cest skidoo

3 hours ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

WOW.. so many great comments, suggestions & opinions ! .. I love it !.. keep em coming.

OK so what im reading here is :

#1,..... whatever track length & suspension i have, it must be custom tuned for my body/sled weight & the type of riding i do. - i know everything is adjustable on my sled but i need to learn how the changes will affect the handling & ride quality of my sled.

#2 ... track length does have some effect on ride quality - so my next motorized toboggan will most definitely have a longer track with latest suspension technology  

#3...my 1200 four stroke is heavy, this added weight has a negative effect on handling & ride comfort - however I love everything about the 1200 !..well except the weight, unlikely i could get away from it.

thanks to all who have posted, & thanks in advance

cheers

mike

Mike, it really comes down to what type of rider you are and whats more important to you. Do you like the speed, tight steering, or ride in comfort, do you like zipping through the tight and twisties or are more of a touring sledder??

I have owned 2 121in sleds and yes they have the more fun flickable factor over longer tracks but I always found if going off trail exploring or just going off trail to do swamp dogs then I was always sinking and the suspension not the greatest. last year I had the new polarais 800 switchback 137, I liked it a lot better with the longer track and the suspension a lot better than the 08 121 apex, as well was able to go off trail with more confidence. For this year though my buddies for the most part own ski doo and I tried their sleds and I found that you cant beat the R motion rear suspension and oil/fuel economy. I find now for my ride that I prefer comfort and having good oil/fuel economy is better than the alternative. So this year I went with the new renegade enduro 900ace 137in that has the R motion with air ride change on the fly. I have to honestly say its the best sled ive own thus far. SET UP is key to your ride quality! I find a lot of people now seem to be going with a 136 or 137. Its the most versatile I believe. If you like the more flickable 121 but want a bit bigger then a lot of people like that are going to the 129in sleds. Although personally I think the 137 fits the bill for most people. 

Hope some of this helps in making your decision and good luck. 

Like a few have mentioned, take the time to learn about your particular suspension and adjust it to suit your riding style.  If there is no way to improve the ride then you could look at a shock rebuild or 'big boy' springs.  You can always give up and buy a new sled but you still have to adjust it to your liking.  I'd hate for you to spend a lot of cash and still be disappointed.

Archived