Trails North Of Hearst

Big Pussy

My group is doing a ride from Cochrane to Hearst this coming Monday.  I see L163 is red and the lower half of L165 is yellow.  We are planning to run these trails Tuesday morning on the way back.   What is going on here ?  Trees down ?  Washouts ?,  Too much snow ?

BP

I wish for the too much snow .... it's been green for a week, I don't know what happened there, it was green yesterday too.  I DO know for fact that the Limited section (Eastern portion that runs N/S) was fine last week, we ran it ourselves.  No issues there...  The other portion that's red, I was under the impression that that particular section was set aside for non-groomed trail riding, ie backcountry-style trail.  That's the understanding I had heard a few years ago.  I was asking one of our customers about that the other day, that it was green, he was to check if it was groomed but I never did get an answer.  I have never run it myself.  

I'll reach out and get back to you on that.

In the past when the Fushimi Loop (L163) has been closed, it's been due to logging. Maybe that's the case?

Not the case. The club has been harassing the MNR for permission to reroute a portion of that trail and its not happening ... bureaucracy ... so its limited, but just barely. ITG indicates Closed as of today so you'd be best to treat it as such.

The Yellow portion that's Limited is in fact very good and I'm at a loss as to why it isn't actually green.

Its part of the best loop we have here (the Missinaibi Expedition Tour) and an awesome stretch of trail ... hit the 2 or 3 moguls next to the field at about 90 km/h for an extra thrill. The loop is best ridden starting by the West end and coming back via Mattice. Fuel in Mattice if needed, it's about 165 km to do the loop complete. We always make it without gassing up mid trip, your results may vary.

Thanks Denis007.  I guess we will do the perimeter of the yellow and green dropping into Mattice for gas and lunch.  I have done the middle loop around Shannon Lake twice but not with these guys and my son.  Do you know if the Mattice club house will be open on Tuesday serving lunch or will we have to get something in down town Mattice with the gas ?  Is there a restaurant there ?  Our day ends in Kap after doing the south loop trails to Kap.  The worst sled on gas is a Thundercat at around 100 - 110 miles.

BP

Thanks Denis007.  I guess we will do the perimeter of the yellow and green dropping into Mattice for gas and lunch.  I have done the middle loop around Shannon Lake twice but not with these guys and my son.  Do you know if the Mattice club house will be open on Tuesday serving lunch or will we have to get something in down town Mattice with the gas ?  Is there a restaurant there ?  Our day ends in Kap after doing the south loop trails to Kap.  The worst sled on gas is a Thundercat at around 100 - 110 miles.

BP

The gas station in Mattice is the hardware store, hours as follows, from their facebook page ...

Monday: 9:00 am – 6:30 pm

Tuesday: 9:00 am – 6:30 pm

Wednesday: 9:00 am – 6:30 pm

Thursday: 9:00 am – 6:30 pm

Friday: 9:00 am – 6:30 pm

Saturday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

Sunday: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Mattice club house is closed, has been for some time (it was open 3 years ago, friends of ours were trying to make a go of it and it didn't work).  The restaurant is now closed in Mattice, nothing else other than the grocery store and a corner store for eats.  The hardware sells gas, as mentioned.

You definitely want to continue across the North and come down the East side of the river, then you'll come straight down into town for fuel if needed.   It's a very nice ride, I absolutely love it.  Probably one of the best sections of trail around.

We get 100 miles consistently with between 32 and 36 liters of fuel, meaning there's always a gallon left.  If your leaving Hearst to do the loop and heading back here, you should make it, but just maybe ... pick up a few bucks worth in Mattice to be safe.  

If I read it properly you'll do the loop, then head to Opaz and the L123 to Kap, you'll want to put in a few bucks, you'd maybe just make it to the next fuel in Opaz, depending how happy the right thumb of the Tcat rider is ... 

If there's anything else, ask away ....  ;-)

Thanks Denis,

We will fill up in Mattice.  I never go by a gas station.  When I ride the Tcat, I get 100+ miles.  This year my son rides it and I ride my new XF7000 LXR.  He probably won't get the same mileage.  Looks like we don't get lunch until Kap unless there is someting in Opasatica but that looks ever worse than Mattice.

BP

Yeah, pretty slim pickins ...some tables and junk food... The loop, if you don't stop every 5 minutes, isn't really that long, I figure I can do the whole thing in about an hour and a bit, down to Mattice... riding solo, and not wasting time looking in the mirrors.  2 hours if you're taking your time enjoying the ride  a bit more.  Then 1/2 hour to Opas, and another 45 minutes to an hour to Kap.  So if you leave at 9 you're there by 12 or 12:30... 10 minutes for every photo op of course .....

• 2 weeks later...

We rode from Cochrane to Hearst on Monday.  A Ski-doo in my group broke a V-Force reed at the Moonbeam club house and had to limp into Hearst on 1.5 cylinders.  No parts in Kap.  B&B had BRP reed cages so they got installed.  Denis007, you must have seen that sled.  I wanted to say hello but your boss said you were off limits.  The rest of the trip was without incident.  The sled in question belonged to your boss and was bought 4 years ago on Valentines Day.  That is another story.

BP

Yes, I remember that sled, it was the bossman who worked on it, I've been busier than a 3-peckered rooster in a henhouse ... too bad we couldn't say Hi, I heard you talking to him about having bought the sled there... it's a nice looking piece too.  Good thing about the reeds, when they get inhaled they very rarely do any damage... just run like crap at lower speeds/rpm's until fixed.  Glad you got it fixed without delay, that's the important thing.

How were the trails / loops ?  Did you end up doing them ?  And how is your son on the fun flipper of the T-cat, must be keeping Exxon happy ....

Denis,

The trails were great.  We left Hearst and did the north loop coming out in Mattice beside the river.  The most west loop was closed and heavily drifted.  At the trapper cabin, there is a little hatchet trail there that made my boy concerned but no problem.  He did alright with fuel.  Never ran out even coming back from the Canyon (140 km).  The T-Cat did 12 - 13 mpg.  My XF7000 LXR did 16 mpg.  I need some gear change there.  Revs way too high.  The only guy that ran out of gas was Joe with the broken reed.  He added his jug about 20 km from Hearst and was empty again once at your shop. That problem should be fixed for good now that the V-Force crap is gone.  It should be as reliable as a Cat now.

Total trip was 1067 km.  We would have normally done the old loop around Hornpayne, Dub, Chapleau, Folyet, Timmins.  The loop is too big now and no place to stay is a problem.  Maybe it will get fixed in a few years.

BP

Archived