Why is the MNR patrolling with OPP?

teener

We were sledding in District 2 this weekend. On Sunday at around noon, we were stopped by an entourage of law enforcement - at least 4 OPP officers (possibly 5) and 1 guy from Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) just outside of Apsley. Any idea why the MNR is tagging along? I find it somewhat peculiar because MNR has virtually unfettered ability to seize your vehicle (sled in this case) with a "guilty until you prove otherwise" mentallity.

They asked where we were coming from and made us to answer separately.

They checked EVERYTHING....driver's license, insurance, registration, VINs, trail passes, whether the addresses on the documentation matched, etc.

I don't have a problem with patrols, per se, I just find it extremely odd that MNR is involved.

I would be interested in hearing whether any one knows what this is about or whether they had a similar experience.

P.S. On another note - the trails in the area are fantastic! Keep up the good work!!

We were sledding in District 2 this weekend. On Sunday at around noon, we were stopped by an entourage of law enforcement - at least 4 OPP officers (possibly 5) and 1 guy from Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) just outside of Apsley. Any idea why the MNR is tagging along? I find it somewhat peculiar because MNR has virtually unfettered ability to seize your vehicle (sled in this case) with a "guilty until you prove otherwise" mentallity.

They asked where we were coming from and made us to answer separately.

They checked EVERYTHING....driver's license, insurance, registration, VINs, trail passes, whether the addresses on the documentation matched, etc.

I don't have a problem with patrols, per se, I just find it extremely odd that MNR is involved.

I would be interested in hearing whether any one knows what this is about or whether they had a similar experience.

P.S. On another note - the trails in the area are fantastic! Keep up the good work!!

Too many folks using the fishing exemption to the mandatory permit requirement without looking into the restrictions (they are large) Most people claiming that they are going fishing and therefore don't need a permit would get the grin knocked off thier face when the game warden steps up :rotflmao: I have successfully had a young male charged and convicted that was trying to use the fishing exemption.

We passed thru the Pheasant parking lot around noon today when the sardine policeman (w/ MNR pick up) & another chap not in uniform but had a ball cap that looked MNR (white stake truck, no lettering) were there. We'd seen the OPP Excursion & trailer go thru Apsley earlier in the morning.

I just assumed that they were checking the ice fishermen out on Copper & Rathurn.

When we came back around 4 the OPP truck was @ the Pheasant.

I've been stopped by the OPP on the Paudash & Old Hastings trails in the past, but never seen a CO w/ them.

Poaching and other out of season hunting activities are huge this year with the ever growing deer populations in the central Ontario areas. What a concept...hunting around dusk on or near a snowmobile trail, pretty easy to get the game out this time of year. No deep ruts or rocks to haul game over. Strap them to a sled trailer and away you go. Fast, simple and done with precision. I have seen this around the Haliburton area more than once.

Archived