Is C101F trail eliminated thru Foleyet for 2014?

700renegade

I was just looking at the ofsc trail mapping and notice the C101F from Chapleau to Timmins is not shown.  Is that section now eliminated?

If so, that really stinks.  One of my most common loops involved starting in Searchmont, riding thru Halfway ( now closed too ) to Chapleau, then to Timmins and around via Hearst and Wawa back to the trailer.

Given the fact that the section thru Elliot Lake is seldom open due to snow conditions, a big northern loop is now all but impossible.

This was a big deal months ago and it is gone, but Chapleau is now part of District 13 and the resources are being focussed on opening the F trail and this now will supply another route to the north from Searchmont.  The new D201F has been added to route over to Black Creek / Aubrey Falls from Searchmont and then with the groomers stationed at Chapleau, Flame Lake, and Black Creek, the F Trail can be tended to much better.  I hope to run up that way in the next 3 weeks or so depending on conditions.  The snow is deep now from what I hear. 

The loop back around the Top is all the way down on the east and then back through Elliot Lake.  I am hoping conditions come together to make that a go ASAP.

Elliot Lake is also a good loop from Searchmont which was great last year too.

its gone !

i tried to go that way last year a couple of times,,, the trail was always in realy bad shape,, to much for the timmins club to look after., they just didnt have the time and man power to look after it.

I made the loop from Dub through Timmins and back around the top 3 times LAST SEASON.  The trail was the best I had ever seen and I have been running it for many years.  One area was an exception due to logging on the trail for a few miles, but the deep snow left rutts rather than plowed to dirt areas I have seen in the past.

With this long Chapleau resource consuming trail and the new alignment with District 13, the F trail should stand a better chance of being opened at the start of the season if conditions allow.

well, that complicates the ability to make loop riding up there.  We could always make Searchmont to Timmins in a day via Chap and Foleyet.  Now it will take two.  Never been particularly fond of the route from Elliot lake and Sudbury.  Too many years the snow was never decent down there.

The old C101F from Chap to Foleyet was a bit tedious, but I sure will miss it for the shortcut.

well, that complicates the ability to make loop riding up there.  We could always make Searchmont to Timmins in a day via Chap and Foleyet.  Now it will take two.  Never been particularly fond of the route from Elliot lake and Sudbury.  Too many years the snow was never decent down there.

The old C101F from Chap to Foleyet was a bit tedious, but I sure will miss it for the shortcut.

You are the first I have heard agree with me that a Soo to Timmins was not hard to do Via the D trail and jumping off to cut to Chapleau around Halfway.  I have gone all the way to cocrane in a day from the Soo.  Now not gonna happen.  Sad to loose the trail.  I will be happy if the F Trail is kept open as I also will cut back straight to Searchmont if the logging does not scrape the roads to dirt. 

Many great trails going over to Elliot Lake and looping back to the Soo.  Also after the ice is good, Drumond Island is a great stop.  Bring your paperwork.........

Archived