Ministry of Labour Charges Against Volunteer Fire Department

bbakernbay

Hmmm not sure why a pumper truck is so dangerous!

I drive a Tandem with a 8,000 liter water tank on it in the winter from time to time. No training other then task training for loading and unloading. My DZ license covers the truck, My job is to drive what they ask me too. I do a circle check and go if the truck is roadworthy! Winter conditions are my responsibility and driving to them is mine as well. Yes water moves! Its mentioned in the task training! There is no special license for driving a tanker. Winter driving means different care needs to be given to stopping accelerating and cornering, its covered in your drivers licence!

The big thing I see is no license in which case the driver of the truck must assume some responsibility. Just because someone tells me I can drive a Tractor trailer with my DZ does not let me off the hook when I'm stopped and charged with no license! It my job to insure my license covers what I'm driving. The task training covers responsibility and tasks requiered with the job being done but the its the driver that must drive to road conditions empty or loaded! If the person would have had a DZ they would have known this! Heck with a standard license they teach that.

Its easy to go on a witch hunt but the driver is as much to blame as anyone else! Being dead does not mean everyone else must carry all the blame! But in todays world maybe it does! Carelessnes caused someone to die, I think a lot of that carelessness lies with the person driving the truck as well as those who failed to see the danger in what he was doing.  Because no matter what he took the truck and assumed the responsibility, no one forced him!

In the end its a sad thing when someone dies, not so much for them but for those left behind! To the family and freinds of this poor soul I wish you well and hope time heals the wounds. Been there to many times and the hurting never gets easier!

Hmmm not sure why a pumper truck is so dangerous!

I drive a Tandem with a 8,000 liter water tank on it in the winter from time to time. No training other then task training for loading and unloading. My DZ license covers the truck, My job is to drive what they ask me too. I do a circle check and go if the truck is roadworthy! Winter conditions are my responsibility and driving to them is mine as well. Yes water moves! Its mentioned in the task training! There is no special license for driving a tanker. Winter driving means different care needs to be given to stopping accelerating and cornering, its covered in your drivers licence!

The big thing I see is no license in which case the driver of the truck must assume some responsibility. Just because someone tells me I can drive a Tractor trailer with my DZ does not let me off the hook when I'm stopped and charged with no license! It my job to insure my license covers what I'm driving. The task training covers responsibility and tasks requiered with the job being done but the its the driver that must drive to road conditions empty or loaded! If the person would have had a DZ they would have known this! Heck with a standard license they teach that.

Its easy to go on a witch hunt but the driver is as much to blame as anyone else! Being dead does not mean everyone else must carry all the blame! But in todays world maybe it does! Carelessnes caused someone to die, I think a lot of that carelessness lies with the person driving the truck as well as those who failed to see the danger in what he was doing.  Because no matter what he took the truck and assumed the responsibility, no one forced him!

In the end its a sad thing when someone dies, not so much for them but for those left behind! To the family and freinds of this poor soul I wish you well and hope time heals the wounds. Been there to many times and the hurting never gets easier!

There is a culture of get there fast at all costs that needs to be broken down. We recently had an incident where a volunteer ditched a tanker on the way to a call knocking it out of service for a month. Plain and simple drive with care and get there efficiently and ready to do your job. Do not be a second accident to divide the team and do not destroy our apparatus or our team. 

There is a culture of get there fast at all costs that needs to be broken down. We recently had an incident where a volunteer ditched a tanker on the way to a call knocking it out of service for a month. Plain and simple drive with care and get there efficiently and ready to do your job. Do not be a second accident to divide the team and do not destroy our apparatus or our team. 

Yes that is well said. As an ambluance driver I know once said his flashing lights do not give him the rights to break the rules of the road. Bend them a bit maybe but in the end he must arrive safely to both destinations!

Very interesting discussion with many valid points.

The reason I posted this originally was somewhat in relation to the issues that some snowmobile clubs were having with the MOL & Occupational Health & Safety Act.

I have no experience with Volunteer Fire Departments but I can certainly imagine that many of the VFDs in small communities consist of a few guys with a truck, pump and some hose and second hand equipment.

I do not comprehend how a very small rural VFD with no paid staff can be held liable under the OHSA to the same standard as a professional Fire Department with both financial and human resources as well as a legal status.

The liability is huge for the Volunteer Captain or "Supervisor".

How are Volunteer Fire Department Volunteers "PAID" to cause them to fall under OHSA?

The same is true for snowmobile Clubs falling under the OHSA by virtue of paying their Volunteers gor Grooming or otherwise.

Very interesting discussion with many valid points.

The reason I posted this originally was

somewhat in relation to the issues that some

snowmobile clubs were having with the MOL &

Occupational Health & Safety Act.

I have no experience with Volunteer Fire Departments but I can certainly imagine that many of the VFDs in small communities consist of a few guys with a truck, pump and some hose

and second hand equipment.

I do not comprehend how a very small rural VFD with no paid staff can be held liable under the OHSA to the same standard as a professional

Fire Department with both financial and human

resources as well as a legal status.

The liability is huge for the Volunteer Captain or "Supervisor".

How are Volunteer Fire Department Volunteers "PAID" to cause them to fall under OHSA?

Even volunteers fall under the OHSA regulations. That is why you need a chainsaw license to use one, while volunteering. My insurance company just informed me, if anyone on my property uses a chainsaw and didn't take the course and hurt themselves, I am fully liable. Crazy world we live in.

The same is true for snowmobile Clubs falling under the OHSA by virtue of paying their Volunteers gor Grooming or otherwise.

Archived