RAP Tour Completed

mwilkins

Hello all,

A group of 7 of us just completed the RAP tour on the long weekend.. as you can imagine we had every type of weather condition possible in 3 days... -25 the first morning... sun.. cloud... snow... sleet... rain... freezing rain.. snow.. warm.. cold.. it was insane.. anyway.. overall great trip with a few expections which I will note below.

Muskoka and Parry Sound Districts trails were in perfect shape on Sat before the poor weather.. these volunteers do a spectacular job and thanks goes out to them for all of the effort and time that they put in!! We rode through Rosseau and up the C102 to the Sequin and down to Aspdin and over to Port Sydney and Baysville.. all awesome! Also the Haliburton trails were in great shape as well as the Renfrew trails through Whitney and through Barry's Bay..

We encountered no problems what so ever with signage until North Bay area.... I don't want to sound like a broken record but the signage was awful south of North Bay.. trails closed.. trails open that should have been closed.. over all extremely disappointed with the trails south of North Bay... I will say that Powasson area had virtually no snow at all.. this was post rain so that certainly made the trails alot worse.. we ran trails listed as open that had no snow on them at all.. such as the A101D.. it was just gravel for about 5 miles or so.. trail should not be open. This area needs snow or it is not passable.. my sled needs carbides and skiis! Sorry for the rant but just want those considering riding through this area to know first hand conditions!

Anyway.. Spectacle Lake Lodge was awesome.. would recommend it to everyone.. great food and people and awesome lodging! Also Mattawa Golf and Ski Resort was fantastic!

Thanks for the report and the update on conditions in the North Bay area. No worries about being a broken record - if we don't hear about it, we may think it's fixed. When one is sitting on great trails in the middle of Muskoka it's difficult to believe things can be that bad north of us.

We've stopped at the Mattawa Golf and Ski Resort for lunch and were happy we did so.

Please tell more about the Spectacle Lake Lodge.

Thanks for the report and the update on conditions in the North Bay area. No worries about being a broken record - if we don't hear about it, we may think it's fixed. When one is sitting on great trails in the middle of Muskoka it's difficult to believe things can be that bad north of us.

We've stopped at the Mattawa Golf and Ski Resort for lunch and were happy we did so.

Hey STG it is a place for straight people only eh? ( SLL) :D

Have you been to Bennett's lately? Looks like they have sold most of their sleds this year.

R7

Have you been to Bennett's lately? Looks like they have sold most of their sleds this year.

R7

Hey R7 - welcome back from your Northern Swing ( you Northern Swinger, you). How was the trip. We're heading north tomorrow night; EA'08 commences Friday morning :D

Talked to Mike on the phone but haven't even been out there since they moved. I hear they are doing well and I hope they are.

R7

Hey R7 - welcome back from your Northern Swing ( you Northern Swinger, you). How was the trip. We're heading north tomorrow night; EA'08 commences Friday morning :D

Talked to Mike on the phone but haven't even been out there since they moved. I hear they are doing well and I hope they are.

Yes they are doing very well! They are in a good location.

Have a great trip up North. The trails are awesome right now! I think they are the best I have seen in years!!

Looking forward to the pics.

R7

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

A group of 7 of us just completed the RAP tour on the long weekend.. as you can imagine we had every type of weather condition possible in 3 days... -25 the first morning... sun.. cloud... snow... sleet... rain... freezing rain.. snow.. warm.. cold.. it was insane.. anyway.. overall great trip with a few expections which I will note below.

Muskoka and Parry Sound Districts trails were in perfect shape on Sat before the poor weather.. these volunteers do a spectacular job and thanks goes out to them for all of the effort and time that they put in!! We rode through Rosseau and up the C102 to the Sequin and down to Aspdin and over to Port Sydney and Baysville.. all awesome! Also the Haliburton trails were in great shape as well as the Renfrew trails through Whitney and through Barry's Bay..

We encountered no problems what so ever with signage until North Bay area.... I don't want to sound like a broken record but the signage was awful south of North Bay.. trails closed.. trails open that should have been closed.. over all extremely disappointed with the trails south of North Bay... I will say that Powasson area had virtually no snow at all.. this was post rain so that certainly made the trails alot worse.. we ran trails listed as open that had no snow on them at all.. such as the A101D.. it was just gravel for about 5 miles or so.. trail should not be open. This area needs snow or it is not passable.. my sled needs carbides and skiis! Sorry for the rant but just want those considering riding through this area to know first hand conditions!

Anyway.. Spectacle Lake Lodge was awesome.. would recommend it to everyone.. great food and people and awesome lodging! Also Mattawa Golf and Ski Resort was fantastic!

Thanks for the shout out mwilkins.

Archived