Ride Report - Sunday Feb 5

14 snow

Domino and I headed out Sunday morning not knowing what to expect. Muskoka has much lower than normal snow, a few mild day and next to no new snow.

Well we were pleasantly suprised in for most of the day.

Snowcrest D from Kahshe lake up to Trail 44 was in great shape (considering my disclaimer above). Past 1 sled in this stretch.

D from 44 to the float bride was in better shape than last weekend, but not as good as it was when Snowcrest maintained it.

D up to 37 was ok. Again, better than past attempts but icy and snirt for most of it. D North from Port Sydney up to Aspdin was pretty good. The re-route (or atleast I don't remember this section) off Yearly road was quite nice. Overall, the further north we got, the better the conditions became. Took a break up at #86 and decided to head into the 80's. 86 up to Buck Lake was in great shape. Once we hit buck lake (not staked) we decided to run the road over towards 81. This section of 85 (on a summer road) was absolutely spectacular. At the next intersection trail #'s seemed to be off but according to the map, we took 82 south, all the way back to D. It was now around 1pm. D down to 37 was holding up well. 37 (North) was groomed the night before and nice as usual. Once we hit 37, southern section, snow conditions were lower and the trail was generally in poorer condition. Frankly there were 2 creek crossing or wash outs I never ever recall seeing in this section of trail. Once we hit D again, it was BRUTAL all the way back to Snowcrest's section of D where things improved yet again.

Overall, 200k for the day on varying conditions. Our best conditions were up in the 80's where the snow was white and it actually looked like winter.

Live every where, the region is in need of more snow so the groomers have something to work with.

Archived