Leaving your truck along the road?

bhunts

Sometimes it just works out better to start a loop trip in the middle of nowhere, instead of at a lodge. Anyone here ever leave their truck along the road for a few days while riding? I am considering doing this in the Sudbury area. What's the best practice? Leave a note on the vehicle so nobody thinks you are lost? Any other ideas? Opinions welcome. Thanks.

(Note, I always have sat phone with me and 2 battery booster packs in the truck.)

I have left my car and trailer along roads, but always consider that many roads have winter parking restrictions. As well, consider where the plow will push the snow. if you are gone for several days perhaps you will be riding to the next town for a tow out of pile of snow or worse still chipping through ice...

that being said I leave a note on the dash with detailed instructions that you are sledding, when you left, when you'll be back and contact info.

I have left my car and trailer along roads, but always consider that many roads have winter parking restrictions. As well, consider where the plow will push the snow. if you are gone for several days perhaps you will be riding to the next town for a tow out of pile of snow or worse still chipping through ice...

that being said I leave a note on the dash with detailed instructions that you are sledding, when you left, when you'll be back and contact info.

So if I'm a would be car thief I'd say thank you very much ...smash the window and have at her.

No way I'd leave my truck and a trailer along some road for any amount of time unless I'm next to someone's house then I'd ask em for permission to leave it parked out front and to keep an eye on it.

Not for me. I know someone who did that only to return from their trip and find a lot of air. I don't need to hear a second story about that sort of thing happening to convince me it's not worth the risk.

Call George at sportsmans lodge in Sudbury. I bet you for a small fee they will let you park there. If you stay a night or two, it won't be a problem.

I don't think leaving a note will necessarily encourage a thief. They either are going to rip you off or not. The note helps to avoid triggering an unnecessary search. I've done this for the past 20 years in summer/fall for paddling/hunting trips with no problems (yet).

Crackher raises a good point that it may be difficult to find a safe parking spot. It's not like summer where you can just pull into the bush to get out of the way.

I'd check the hwy traffic act and local bylaws, your truck parked along side the road for a few days might be seen as an abandon vehicle and could be towed.

Insurance?

I have had cars stolen from driveways, car parks, car pools etc etc etc. if you guys are that worried about your cars how locks do you have on your front doors? I mean really other than the inconvience of the theft and returning to no vehicle screw it. I would like to heard it from someone that actually has had their truck stolen while sledding. I have heard of trailers and other equipment ans I am sure there have been trucks, but lets be honest here if someone wants something no matter what it is gone. so the alternative is to leave it in a parking lot of a landowner you do not know from adam? may as well leave it in a mall parking lot.....nothing gets stolen there right

I would like to heard it from someone that actually has had their truck stolen while sledding.

Not stolen. Towed. Not me; my son and his friend. Parked as this thread is describing it. I'd rather not have that incovenience.

Insurance?

I have had cars stolen from driveways, car parks, car pools etc etc etc. if you guys are that worried about your cars how locks do you have on your front doors? I mean really other than the inconvience of the theft and returning to no vehicle screw it. I would like to heard it from someone that actually has had their truck stolen while sledding. I have heard of trailers and other equipment ans I am sure there have been trucks, but lets be honest here if someone wants something no matter what it is gone. so the alternative is to leave it in a parking lot of a landowner you do not know from adam? may as well leave it in a mall parking lot.....nothing gets stolen there right

Locks are only to keep the honest people out. Some one looking to steal something has a plan that they want it and are going to get what they want no matter what you do to try and stop them.

Insurance?

Ya I guess you're right screw it. Actually for that matter the heck with filling out a police report and filing a insurance claim I'd head right to Paul Sadlon Motors haul out my CIBC Aerogold Visa card and say "see that truck on your lot well I need it by the end of the day" then with the change in my arse pocket I'd pick up a Triton XT 22foot enclosed,head back to where my last truck was stolen and have at it again.

Minor inconvience.

Archived