Sledding around Kearney on Feb 11 & 12

steve c

Just a heads up to anyone planning on sledding around Kearney on Feb 11 & 12, that they are having their dog sled races that weekend. There are usually by-passing that has to be done around Kearney once you get into town but it is fairly easy to get around it. Also, they do use some of the trails around Kearney, past years it is usually on the D Trail heading west of Kearney towards the D101B.

Found very nice trails in this area this past weekend,better than anywhere else i have been,nice terrain,and freshly groomed....i am coming back up 18/19th/20th of feb

Just a heads up to anyone planning on sledding around Kearney on Feb 11 & 12, that they are having their dog sled races that weekend. There are usually by-passing that has to be done around Kearney once you get into town but it is fairly easy to get around it. Also, they do use some of the trails around Kearney, past years it is usually on the D Trail heading west of Kearney towards the D101B.

Will any of the trails in the area be closed?

Also enjoyed the trails just north of Kearney this past weekend. Came across 9 dog sled teams "in training" on the D trail. Nice to see some wildlife other than wild turkey and deer! Signs post warning that dog teams may be on the trail but it occured to me that some riders going a little too fast might be in for a big surprise around the next bend. I found myself trying to come up with a hand signal to warn on-coming riders 'dogs on trail'. Didn't come up with anything other than slow down.

Will any of the trails in the area be closed?

NO - none of the OFSC trails will be closed. It is just very busy in the town of Kearney and they usually try to re-route the sleds through town to avoid the dog sleds. You also need to use caution particularly on the D East of Kearney towards the 101 as they also use part of that trail.

NO - none of the OFSC trails will be closed. It is just very busy in the town of Kearney and they usually try to re-route the sleds through town to avoid the dog sleds. You also need to use caution particularly on the D East of Kearney towards the 101 as they also use part of that trail.

Are you heading up this weekend Giddy Up?

Are you heading up this weekend Giddy Up?

I am here Wannago!!! We might take a short ride in the morning (Sat) with all this nice fresh snow :) Maybe we will see you out there...if not...drop into Kearney and stop in for a cup of Hot Chocolate :)

Archived