Message from the MSR

DWIGHT RX

Good Evening,

This thread is a response from the Muskoka Snowmobile Region to some misinformation that has recently been posted on several Forums in the past week. The internet is a terrific place to exchange information and ideas. Unfortunately, a little information can be dangerous and damaging when taken at face value, out of context without the benefit of the complete history behind a single statement.

First,I would like to thank those of you who have purchased your 2011 - 2012 permits from the Muskoka Snowmobile Region.

I am currently a director of the MSR and sit regularly at the board table, I also have District 7 responsibilities, so I can write from a position of knowledge and complete understanding of what transpires at the MSR and District Board meetings.

Our message is simple and clear - the MSR fully intends (and always has) to to begin packing and grooming trails as soon as there is adequate snow cover and cold weather to privide safe trails.

The MSR/OFSC clubs cannot afford to damage industrial grooming equipment or worse sink them in unfrozen swamps which can cost thousands of dollars to repair by moving too early.

The volunteers of the member clubs of the Muskoka Snowmobile Region take great pride in delivering to you our permit holders great and safe trails for your enjoyment all season long. The MSR is concerned about what appears in these forums and we work hard to communicate with the riding public at every opportunity. Individuals who have concerns or questions can call the MSR/District 7 office and they will have their question s answered or be called back by a member of the MSR to clarify any issues that they have.

We also welcome those of you who would like to help us continue to bring a great trail system to life each and every season as soon as we can. Contact us and we will direct you to the club nearest to you

Thank you from the Muskoka Snowmobile Region

So where does Mr. Cudney get his statement of Dec 20th? It is all over that other yellow forum. I don't think there is any of us that want to see damaged equipment! The HCSA sunk a Br180 a few years ago. Had to be towed out, cleaned up and the tracks ended up being cut off! It was OOS for awhile which hurt overall grooming. I think it is the right thing to do, to open trails when they can be opened safely for everybody.

Thanks for the update. Also happen to be a permit buyer in the District , and look forward to riding the trails as soon as your topography and snow conditions permit.

Interesting that you mention damage to industrial grooming equipment. A close friend and former groomer (and the person who introduced me to OFSC trails , which led to 4 trail passes for numerous years) recently quit because he was fed up with accusations he was being 'rough' on the equipment. He's groomed since the 80's, and today's equipment is a heck of a lot better than the equipment back then. He hasn't changed, but 'management' has.

The trails seem to be the same, but the 'tolerance' level seems to have been raised (or lowered).

Please don't interpret this as a shot over the bow. The folks who started, and maintained, these trails (and you may well be one of them) are leaving. They realized that there were 6-8 weekends of snowmobiling in southern Ontario, and brought out the equipment in a timely manner to match the snow conditions.

We're on the same team, and want this sport to flourish for the towns, businesses, families and friends who embrace this very narrow window known as Ontario's 'winter'.

Archived