Sportsman's Lodge - Kukagami Lake

revrnd

I'm just curious if anyone has stayed here the last couple of seasons?

I've read reports in the past that the place had changed hands & wasn't as "desirable" as in years past when it was a very popular destination. On my spreadsheet I've got it rated as Fair. Should this rating remain or should it be upgraded to Good?

This spot has been one of our favorite destinations....and continues to be. I think George does a great job of making his guests welcome and they have made many improvements over the years...the new boilers (no more smoke hanging in the air), the patio etc. I think the "issue" might be that not everyone embraces change. We have stayed there at least 6 times, with the old owners and the new. There is a change in the atmosphere, and depending on what you expect the place to be....you will either be pleased or "wish for the old days". The last few trips before George took over I noticed the place was going down hill and was generally attracting a rowdy crowd...lots of drinking, late nights etc. I have zero issue with that...and enjoy a beverage or two/three after a long days ride. With the tougher drinking/driving laws and change in attitudes those days are gone. The last few visits we have run into a more laid back (should I say older crowd) and have enjoyed the conversations in the main lodge around the fire and a hockey game on the TV. I may be generalizing when I say this...but I think the people complaining the most are the ones that wish it had stayed the old way.....I have not heard any complaints from people when I have been there that are looking for a Northern Ontario Lodge experience along with the comaradarie that comes with snowmobiling.

Archived