Nipigon-Marathon-Longlac loop, need advice and updates.

ozzy

Our trip is set subject to any last minute advice or suggestions.

Day 1, local riding around Nipigon. (2-16-08)

Day 2, ride to Marathon.

Day 3, ride to Longlac.

Day 4, ride to Nipigon.

Day 5, Local riding around Nipigon. (2-21-08)

Reports are not to clear but it looks like all trails are open. Any updates?

Advice or tips on local riding around Nipigon would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

You have to ride Orient bay area in Nipigon. Head north on Hwy 11 approximately 40 KM and you'll have some great off trail / hill riding. The top A trail used to run along Hwy 11 approximately 20 KM up the hwy then run back into the bush. If you kept riding straight onto the pipeline and followed it you would come across the area I'm speaking of. If you have trucks and trailers it might be easier to trailer to the site. Once you drive past the Pipeline station approx 2 km there is a bush access road with a turn around good spot to park. My buddy told me that there is 4 feet of untouched powder up there right now.

There are some huge hills and lots of snow in that area. There is one area on the pipeline which is know to the locals as "death valley". A valley always with tones of snow, huge, steep hills on both sides and makes for some good pictures of sleds trying to make it up.

We were looking for "Death Valley" a few yrs ago. Never found it. :oops:

I tied up my motor the night before we would'a got to that area and so I was on the Grey Goose back to my truck the next day while my chumms rode further on towards that area (from Beardmore) to find it, but said they never did. It sounds like they didn't go QUITE far enough.

Pic of the Marathon area. Pic is old, but I would assume it's still the same? ;)

I believe that this was just east of Marathon? It gits more up/down west of here.

NorthShoreHydrolineSuperior.jpg

I drove through Nipigon via Hwy 11 yesterday for work. The trail between Longlac and Nipigon looked in excellent condition. Still lots of untracked snow around Orient Bay.

Thanks for the information. We are headed your way tomorrow!

Archived