Importing sleds from the US

Mooseman

I have read so much about this that my eyes are bleeding. I know all about the RIV and how to bring it over. The problem I have is that the US Border Protection at the crossing I intend to use wants the actual title and bill of sale 72 hours prior to bringing the sled over. I called 3 different NY crossings and all of them want the real documents mailed to them so they receive it 72 hours prior, NOT FAXED.

I have read in some forums that some guys didn't stop at the US border and just went straight to the Canadian border where they didn't care about what they did on the US side, as long as you had the title and bill of sale. One said that he was turned around by the Canadian Border guards to go back and have the 72 hour thing done on the US side, forcing him to get the sled stored for 3 days. For those that have done the 72 hour thing, they sent their documents by fax without any problems but these were 2 year old posts.

Now if I have to send the original title and a bill of sale to the US border, how the heck am I supposed to do that? I mean like, when I go down to see it, buy it, trailer it back in the same day, how can I get the title before that? I'm not going to send a total stranger money and buy a sled sight unseen and hope it's all good.

I also would like to hear from anybody and everybody that has imported a sled recently and how it went.

Thanks.

I have heard you can cross the boarder and hand in the orginal documents and tell them you will return with the snowmobile in 72 hours and that is fine. Have they tightened up the rules since then?

I think it's just different from State to State. NY seems to be totally retarded with this :crazy_grn: . Maine apparently accepts a fax of the documents and then you present the real ones when you come with the sled 72 hours later. I think I may be going this Friday, buy the sled, have the sled stored over the weekend in Ogdensburg, drop off the papers at the US border and come back on Monday. At least I won't have to take a day off this way (I'm on holidays Friday and Monday) and only cost $30 for storage + gas.

I think it's just different from State to State. NY seems to be totally retarded with this :crazy_grn: . Maine apparently accepts a fax of the documents and then you present the real ones when you come with the sled 72 hours later. I think I may be going this Friday, buy the sled, have the sled stored over the weekend in Ogdensburg, drop off the papers at the US border and come back on Monday. At least I won't have to take a day off this way (I'm on holidays Friday and Monday) and only cost $30 for storage + gas.

I was told by the US border that you had to give them 72 hrs but not over the weekend of holidays.I went through at Queenston NY where they took faxed copies as well.This was 2 winters ago.Dealers will work with you on the paperwork.

Update on my "adventure". UPS Store in Ogdensburg I thought that could store the sled for the 3 days can't. Called the local Yamaha dealer and he would do it for $30/day. Then, for whatever reason, I can't get a hold of the seller anymore. Calls/voicemails and emails go unanswered. Left him a last message saying if the sled is sold or otherwise unavailable, just let me know. Still nothing so if he does want to sell it, I'll let him run after me.

When I spoke to the Yamaha dealer, he told me that some have tried to just skip the US border and go straight to Canada with the sled. They were just refused entry and turned around to go deal with the US guys. Apparently they work together to make our lives as miserable as possible. So for anybody importing a vehicle, they should call the US Border Protection where they intend to cross to find out their particular procedures and hours as they are all different. Some take faxes, some don't. Even heard of some that will take PDF scans by email.

I brought a sled across last April and just faxed the bill of sale, ownership/title and craigs list ad. faxed on a monday and called them on a friday to inquire if there was any liens. All was good, drove to Conneticut sunday and cleared customs in 30 minutes on both sides of the border. You have to stop on U.S. side so they can check the vin number on the sled and stamp your paper work. Without that stamp cdn customs can refuse the sleds entry. Better to be safe than sorry. I have imported 5 sleds all with this same procedure and 0 problems at 3 different crossing . 3 sleds at Rainbow (no longer done there) 1 in quessnston and 1 at cornwall. Now they change procedures all the time so who knows now. Call US customs and they can fill ya in with the latest. For Cnd, riv info on line will completely fill in the details.

I brought a sled across last April and just faxed the bill of sale, ownership/title and craigs list ad. faxed on a monday and called them on a friday to inquire if there was any liens. All was good, drove to Conneticut sunday and cleared customs in 30 minutes on both sides of the border. You have to stop on U.S. side so they can check the vin number on the sled and stamp your paper work. Without that stamp cdn customs can refuse the sleds entry. Better to be safe than sorry. I have imported 5 sleds all with this same procedure and 0 problems at 3 different crossing . 3 sleds at Rainbow (no longer done there) 1 in quessnston and 1 at cornwall. Now they change procedures all the time so who knows now. Call US customs and they can fill ya in with the latest. For Cnd, riv info on line will completely fill in the details.

i m thinking of buyin a salvaged sled from the states...have you ever gone this route before

RIV has info on salvaged vehicles too. Anything over 15 years old doesn't need the RIV. Not sure about the US though. They might still need to put their stamp of approval. You should check with your particular US border crossing as each are different. I called 3 different NY crossings and they all wanted the actual documents, no faxes. I even spoke to a real person and she confirmed this. Another one accepts faxes and emails of PDF's of the documents. I think it was St-Catherine's. Maybe they started doing it this was because they were getting too many "false" exports where maybe the deal fell through and they did their research for nothing, no sled coming through.

How would one even obtain the original before they have even seen the sled. The owner isnt going to give anything up with out the cash. This whole new system makes no sense. This cant be like this. There is hundreds of motor vehicles (cars,trucks) cleared everyday, there is no way they could have this backlog of vehicles held up in this manner. If this is the case pay a bonded customs broker to do the work for you..

Yeah, I know, we todd did. While talking to the Yamaha dealer, he said that he's been storing a lot like that for the 3 day waiting period. He even got some from Texas (quads and bikes, not sleds :icon_naughty: ) This just adds an extra expense to store the machine. Or if you know the seller really good to send money and buying sight unseen. Someone asked the US seller to bring it to his local dealer, have it inspected and give a report, both in writing and by phone. Anyway, it looks like my deal fell through since the seller is not contacting me or it was a scam.

Archived