Madawaska Cup Snowmobile races & OPP

WEFusion900

I wonder what the organizers of this event think of the enforcement efforts of the OPP surrounding this event.

Check points all over for both cars and snowmobilers.

I was stopped twice by the OPP and once by Stop Officers on the trail all stops were between Birds Creek and the E110 turn at the gravel pit(can't be more than 3 miles)

Each time having to show all paperwork(license, registration, insurance, permit receipt)

Everything was in order it was just a hassle

This is what I posted on FS yesterday:

I rode up from the MTO yard @ the 62 & 620 Jct. OPP were at the B106E & E110 jct w/ radar & checking paper work. As I'm riding along north of the Heritage Bridge an oncoming sledder motions for me to slow down. Around the curve by the airport. The OPP were there checking paper work AGAIN.

After the race I I was heading south, they had the radar @ the end of the clearing north of the "high bridge".

I heard from a former co-worker there & a chap in Peterborough Monday (that was up ther on Sat') that is from Bancroft, that they had several OPP "teams" up there, but it would appear their deployment could've been better planned. Why check sledders twice coming from the same direction? Yes there is a side trail into Bancroft between the 2 checkpoints, but it is a dead end trail to a gas station & motel. I don't know if there was a checkpoint north of the race site. If yes, a person sledding thru the area would've been checked 3 times in less than 15 minutes.

Great way to promote tourism in the area for special events?

I was there both days but went in my truck as i was helping a buddy that was racing. I can say that the o.p.p showed they were there both days but I can't say they held anyone for to long. As for there pesents on the tails you have to remenber that a lot of people leave there brains at a race track, they seam to think they are racers. We see it all the time at the races in eganville, they know the police are out there so they ride easy till they hit the first check point then as soon as they are out of shight you would think they are running a pro champ sled for all the money. So now they set up two or three check points on the same trail if for no other reason that to keep us safe.

Its to control race fever.

We go the races Saturday nights at Brighton Speedway in the summer time and I've been to bike races at Shannonville as well. There is always LEOs setup outside the tracks, and its common to see one just a few miles down the road from the last.

People come from the track all hyped up about seeing the race and race a little bit themselves on the way home. They may slow for the frist check point and think they are good and than open it up a little more after that, only to see and get stopped by the next check point.

Little nuts yes to be checking paperwork at the second stop just after doing it at the first so maybe there is a bit of a communication break down there.

But how many of us pass a cop that already has some one else stopped on the 401 and think, I'm good to go now he has some one else. With the double check point now they make you second guess yourself and keep the speed in check.

Or I'm totaly wrong and the OPP just had no idea what d'hell they where doing. I'm kind of hoping my first statement was true.

At the very least they should give you a ribbon or some kind of system so that they don't have to check your paperwork each time they stop you.

Ask them for a business card, OPP's all have them, have him write the date on the back. Than hand it to the next guy if you get stopped again that day. 99% of the time you'll get a thumbs up and send on your way. OPP told me that one day when I got stopped the 3 time in the same day on the motorcycle 4 years ago. It was spring time and everyone was getting their bikes out. LEOs do more random stops on bikes in the spring checking for paperwork, because the winter blues get people down and they jump at the first nice day to ride. And not everyone has the correct paperwork to be riding....

Ask them for a business card, OPP's all have them, have him write the date on the back. Than hand it to the next guy if you get stopped again that day. 99% of the time you'll get a thumbs up and send on your way. OPP told me that one day when I got stopped the 3 time in the same day on the motorcycle 4 years ago. It was spring time and everyone was getting their bikes out. LEOs do more random stops on bikes in the spring checking for paperwork, because the winter blues get people down and they jump at the first nice day to ride. And not everyone has the correct paperwork to be riding....

Great idea. I will do this from now on depending if it looks like a busy day or not.

Just recieved my local paper today, there is a big wright up on policing for the bonnchere cup in eganville and the townships request to back off.

But we can expect 2 sleds from killaloe 4 sleds from pembroke 4 to 6 sleds from save team. On the roads regular patrols plus the ride team . By the sounds of it we must realy be law breakers in Eganville , and you will be safe to break the law through out dist six that weekend because you know were all the police will be

Great idea. I will do this from now on depending if it looks like a busy day or not.

One Flaw in this logic is what of an individual get stopped on the way to the bar and gets a card then 3 hours later after having a 6 beers gets stopped again??

I think you will find in most situations a rider with all the paperwork in hand will fly through a checkpoint. It is the ones that have permit hidden, Val TAG on wrong side Missing paperwork that get held up.

Archived