Bobcaygeon-Buckhorn-Kinmount

yamadan700

Heading out to that area next week. Hoping to get some trail condition info for the area.

Thx.

Heading out to that area next week. Hoping to get some trail condition info for the area.

Thx.

was out yesterday some trails were freshly groomed with the pile of snow we got, should be real good for the weekend, but conditions can change fast who knows what next week can hold

We received 8 inches of fluffy snow in the "big storm" yesterday. Both groomers were out today, and the 400 was done, as was the 420. On Tuesday, before the snow, the E108 was awesome, the 420, the 430 and the 470 were decent, and the 400 and the east trails really needed more snow. I'll update again once my groomer guy gets home.

Here's the latest:

Our fellows groomed the following trails today: the 400, the 400A, E108, the 405, the 425, the 460, the 420, the 415 and the 430.

There was 5-8 inches of powder out there depending on the trail.

The rest of the system should be groomed by tomorrow night.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the rail trail between Kinmount and the 3rd was pretty thin on Tuesday, but it should be better now with the snow.

Cheers.

Great report "yammymammy"! Thank you. Will be hitting those trails Thurs and Fri next week.

terrible, not enough snow and too much traffic, i would trailer further north, since the club moved the E108 off bass lane road it has never been good. i've been up the last 3 weekends in a row and buckhorn had not groomed from the 503 up the E108 to meet twin mtns,(unless they did it this past sat as i didn't even bother to go that way) E108 over to rail bed was chewed to crap also.

was out again this weekend and most of the twin mountain trails were crap once got into the woods, between logging and scraping the base away just to rough terrain, best trail was the 420, the 430 has way to much road running and very diligent plow operators in the area. most of the top trails in the area took a beating this weekend but the club trails i was on were all real good, hickory beach was decent as was the maple bush. pinery and shuttleworth trails all in klsc area had lots of snow.

was out again this weekend and most of the twin mountain trails were crap once got into the woods, between logging and scraping the base away just to rough terrain, best trail was the 420, the 430 has way to much road running and very diligent plow operators in the area. most of the top trails in the area took a beating this weekend but the club trails i was on were all real good, hickory beach was decent as was the maple bush. pinery and shuttleworth trails all in klsc area had lots of snow.

In all fairness to our guys who are out there 8 to 10 hours a day running the groomers, they are doing what they can. A lot of our bush trails are thin, but our guys have been doing their absolute best considering what they have been given to work with. Terrain, quantity and quality of snow, traffic volume, logging operations, and snow plow operators are things over which we have no control.

Sled traffic up the 400 and across E108 is always heavy, and we checked over 300 sleds on Saturday during trail patrol. That kind of volume beats the s**t out of the best trails, not to mention what it does to those with a limited amount of base/snow to begin with.

Unless things have changed since Saturday, Buckhorn is down to one groomer which has been running 24/7. They groomed E108 over to our junction on Monday night and it was in pretty decent shape on Tuesday. (I can't comment on the 503 as I wasn't on it.) Buckhorn has the same unfortunate terrain problem that we do, and they haven't received any more snow than we have.

Thanks again Yammymammy, blue er and rageit for the updates. I volunteered with our local club for years and feel your frustration with the lack of snow, after all the work and effort into putting the trail down.

Heading up to buddy's place on Upper Chemong tonight after work. Will try out the area over the next couple of days. This will be my first ride ever in this area. Hope the Snow Gods hammer the area with the white gold...

PS We've been having a great year in the Orangeville and north area.

We've been out all day in the 180 and Phil has been out all day in the 160. The 400, the 405, the 425, E108, the 430 and the 420 have all been groomed today. The others were done yesterday. The cold temps have set things up nicely. The trails look great. We'll have to wait and see what the traffic does to them. I hope you get over our way and check things out. :-)

thanks ym I start my holidays saturday, hope to get out on the tmsc trails this weekend before i leave on a rap tour. pretty sure i seen you out in the groomer on the 400 couple saturdays ago pulled over to the side in the reroute to let you through, hopefully sled traffic doesn't kill it but we are getting some warmer temps this week

Hey Blue

That would have been me. I am the "stone picker-upper", the "log mover", the "map filler-upper", the "drag cleaner", and what ever else the Goominator tells me to do.... ;-)

Larry will be out tomorrow on his Friday schedule and our other guys will be out on Saturday. The Groominator and I are riding for the next three days..... ;-)!!! The only day that we don't groom (generally....and that is subject to change) is on Sunday.

There was minimal traffic at best out there today, and things looked decent. There were more deer out there enjoying our trails than sleds.

If you get the chance, shoot up to Tye's Mountain (#450). We just opened it, and it was absolutely great the other day!! NO TRAFFIC at all, and a decent amount of snow.

When we did our final pass today heading up the 400, things were a little thin in some areas, and others were not too bad.

We groomed across the 425 today on the north side of 36 between Ken's Road and Quarry road. It is pretty hard packed and decent. It should hold for a bit.

They are calling for warmer temps and possibly rain, which won't help our cause this weekend, once we factor in the traffic that we are sure to get on Saturday.

Anyway, enjoy your RAP tour, and if you happen to be out and about on the TMSC trails this Saturday and run into trail patrol, I'll be there. A red 06 Vector. Stop and say "hello".

If you are a "Facebooker", check out our TMSC page, as I posted a whole wack of photos today when we were out there grooming. That will give you a better idea of how things looked, at least, how things looked when we were finished grooming today. Volume might kill us this weekend.

Happy Trails!!!

YM

ym, can you explain why the E108 was moved from bass lane? the new trail is very rough and difficult to groom i understand

Yes. Bass Lane is a private road and we were getting tonnes of complaints from those that live/cottage up there about meeting and almost hitting sleds on road. It was a 'move it or lose it' kind of deal and essentially a safety issue for sledders and residents alike.

The new trail off to the side of Bass Lane is not difficult to groom, but it takes longer due to the terrain.

Cheers.

YM.

well more needs to be done, especially from the nogies creek bridge to the triangle. its been crap every weekend, even after the recent snow last week, if i sound like im complaining, i am ive been riding that trail for 15yrs and it never gets any better. there is nothing worse than going on a long ride to come home and have the last 30kms of your trip rough as hell.

We were out today and rode most of the trails, and they are in pretty decent shape. The less travelled club trails are the best ones out there. Traffic was heavier in the afternoon.

Tye's Mountain trail was great, and the east side trails were also decent, although we need more snow. The 400A has seen virtually no traffic whatsoever.

Let's hope that we don't get the rain that they are forecasting for next week. That could hurt us!!!

And yes, there are portions of our trails that are rough, but until I became involved with the club, I was as naive as the next guy. I thought that snow fell in hard-packed ribbons of rock-free smoothness for the sole enjoyment of snowmobilers. Who would think to take into consideration the topography, the quality of snow, the political issues surrounding the MNR, the MOE, the individual Townships, the Landowners, the lack of volunteers, etc, etc, etc.

It is snowing now in big flakes. Let's hope that the flakes are nice and packy, and that we get enough of them to actually work with.

Happy Trails!! :)

Archived