Open trails ? Don't waste your time...

etonia2007

I understand opening trails to limited status when they are ridable, some don't need as much snow on them to get up and running, but I left Princeton today and rode to Burford....the bit of snow out there just (barely) covers up lumps of dirt and furrows...these trails should not be marked limited status, you're just beating up your equipment...good luck

The term "snirt" comes to mind

(snow and dirt)

"Limited", to me, suggests I may be riding on snow and dirt.

Too bad your ride didn't work out for you. It'll get better as the season unfolds.

The term "snirt" comes to mind

(snow and dirt)

"Limited", to me, suggests I may be riding on snow and dirt.

Too bad your ride didn't work out for you. It'll get better as the season unfolds.

well think thats whats wrong with the rating system....all trails I rode yesterday from New Hamburg over to London, back through Milverton and Elmira are marked limited but were excellent in opinion...was bouncy in some spots but mostly good.....limited in one area sure means something diffrent in another...Diceman

That section was still showing closed on the OFSC site Friday night, see it is limited now. We headed south from Burford area on Saturday because of this. Did a loop to Turkey Point and I would say 80% of it was great with balance being snirt or rough fields. Considering trails never opened here last winter I was very happy with a local ride.

Thanks for all your replies, yes there is a problem with this rating system, as I also rode 600KM before New Years on "limited" and most we very good, worst were acceptable. I'm sure it's a fine line deciding to go from close to anything but limited should not mean your sled is going to be in 100 pieces, it should mean limited riding available at the least, otherwise it should remain closed

I'm sure it's a fine line deciding to go from close to anything but limited should not mean your sled is going to be in 100 pieces, it should mean limited riding available at the least, otherwise it should remain closed

Where do you draw that line? I know people who will ride their snowmobiles on grass in the middle of summer. A skiff of snow is more than good enough for them. Others won't even consider starting their snowmobile until there is at least two feet of snow on the ground. Is it fair to let the desires of the latter group dictate the former? As long as there is enough snow to meet the needs of landowners (i.e. crop cover, etc.) and safety requirements, I see no reason to not open the trails on a limited basis.

I do agree that additional details would help those who want better conditions before they head out. Maybe something like:

• Limited - Do not even consider riding without spare sliders and carbides handy
  • Acceptable - Mostly good, but you might hit some bad patches
  • Open - Good everywhere, have at it

Good points above.

I interpret Limited as "there WILL be a rock showing at the top of the hill, where prior sleds have spun the snow off the crown";

or, "there WILL be a wash-out (marked or unmarked") on a flat trail, so stick close to the speed limit.

__

Open trails = there MAY be a rock on a hill; there MAY be a wash-out.

__

Fair enough, then why leave trails such as we had in December in Singhampton area for instance as limited ? This has nothing to do with rocks sticking out at the top of a hill, if there's barely enough snow to cover furrows and lumps of dirt, all the sleds follow the path of least resistance....they were running down the tabletop wheat field right beside the shitty trail. Are you guys going to defend the rider's poor judgement when the landowner pulls their permission ? I say the guy making the call to open the trail from closed to limited needs to consider more then just how much snow is laying there. You have to look at the trail system you're responsible for. The sledder isn't going to look at the whole picture, trails are open, we go use them. Too bumpy here, I'll ride over there. At the very least, if the trail is closed, and people go on it, THEY are in the wrong, NOT the club ! Next fall it's the CLUB that has to go ask permission again.

Just to test the system some more, I'm gonna ride from Princeton to Barrie via Arthur, Shelburne, Creemore tomorrow and see what limited means in some other areas. We'll see what's out there

post-21771-0-85839100-1296253759_thumb.jpg

Archived