Quebec

Gasgeber

Four of us are leaving for Quebec City on 2-8-08 will be riding the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean and Mont Valin area for 5 days.

Heard so much about Quebec for years that we decided to give it a try. This is not say the area of Ontario you are considering is not as good, I usually ride that area of Ontario myself and have found it to have the best trails and accommidations.

I have heard that some areas of Quebec you had better keep every thing under lock and key due to theft. Another thing, this trip is going to be expensive considering the distance driving from Michigan and back for fuel, lodging, trail passes and having already purchased both Michigan and Ontario trail passes.

Will let you know how our trip was when we return.

We are staying at: Manior Fairmont Richelieu in Malbaie and Hotel La Saguenay in Chicoutimi. I am told they both have indoor secured sled storage and lighted/camera security for the tow rigs.

We were up there last year over Martin Luther King weekend as they were the only ones that had open trails east of the Mississippi at that time last year. It was packed and the trails took a beating. They had tons of snow, I would have said 3-4 foot on ther level and more in the Valin mountains. We stayed at the Hotel La Saguenay in Chicoutimi for one night (last) and it was great, nice and clean rooms with hot tubs and a sauna and a great place to get a dinner/breakfast. Spent three other nights in the Mt. valin ski area (la Voulinet sp.?), small & cheap, had to walk to the ski area to get dinner, no hot tub or sauna. Ride out to the st. lawerance seaway, it is sweet to see the size of the river there. Over by Lac St jean lake it gets flatter and less snow. Never rode south of Chicoutimi, because the trails were to rough. I was shock at the trail conditions, but when that many sledders were there it would be expected. Looooong drive through, I think it took us 15 hours to get to Chicoutimi from Detroit.

I was the guy that mentioned Quebec. I was being sensative to the feelings of the "locals" on this forum when I said Ontario is best - Quebec is equally as good as Ontario in my estimation - in fact there are certain areas of Quebec that make trail prep an almost religious experience they are that meticulous. It all comes down to what you like to experience - northern Ontario is better in terms of strict "pile-on-the miles" type experience. Quebec has a more "cosmopolitan" feel about it's system. Some of their clubhouses are astonishing. you can tell they truly love the sport there.

I rode a 2600 mile loop all the way thru Chicoutimi / Gaspe Penninsula / Montreal area last year and really enjoyed myself.

plus the women are not hard to look at in Quebec ;)

Archived