help setting up suspension

fish

looking for suggestions on how to best set up suspension for my wifes new to her sled. Its a 2008 vector. She is a light weight at 130 pounds. Im putting on a set of stub boy deuce runners. She is not an agressive driver. Should I be putting pressure on the front end?

Check the factory recommendations for her weight and go with those settings than play with it on the trail from there to where she is happy.

Not sure where they are listed on the vector but my Skidoo has a sticker on the belt cover with a table showing all the settings. That’s what I did 2 years ago with my sled, I had no idea where to even start, as suspension was a big upgrade from the old Indy 500 I had. Only took about 50km on the trail playing with more or less from the factory setup to where I was happy.

Suspension is different for everyone, the guy I got my sled from is about the same size and build as me, but my settings are no where close to what he was running and happy with.

Go onto Totally Yamaha and post the question. I suspect they will say pull the Limiter strap in one or two holes from stock and set the front springs light as possible. Deuce Runners is a good call - you do not make it to hard to steer .....you want it to steer.

good luck. :mrgreen:

Yamaha setups up all of their sleds from the factory for an average 180 Ib rider. The only way it is going to ride good for a 130 Ib rider is to revalve all three shocks. These mono shock suspensions will require a lighter spring change as well. (Sometimes you can just change the spring but I would revalve it for sure). As far as the deuce bars go, I find they tend to cause the sled to handle funny and feel heavy in certain snow conditions (unless you have at least 96 studs to push them, I would use tradional carbides and shim the ski rubbers to correct the real factory fault. A good set of regular 90 degree 6" carbides is a great setup with no studs. Pay attention to how the carbide sits on the garage floor. If the front of the carbide is on the floor and the rear is off, you need to correct this by shimming the back side of the ski rubbers (I normally use old belts that I cut up and screw into place on the back side of the ski rubber) Play with it until the front of the carbide is off the floor when the sled is sitting flat. I usually aim for 1/8" clearance at the very front wear pad on the carbide. If you don't correct this, doesn't matter what you do, the sled will follow all of the ruts in the trail, even with deuce runners) Get the front of the carbide up and this darting problem totally disappears. Need to have a far bit of spring pressure on the front to get the yamaha's to carve properly on packed trail surfaces. If you have the front clicker shocks this setup is a breeze to play with on the trail. Anyway's good luck.

Thanks for the input. The sled came studded so that should help with the dual runners. I found a couple threads on TY that advised to set the front and rear spring preload at the minimum settings as a start and go from there. Wish me luck!

Archived