Chandos Ice Conditions?

revrnd

Does anyone know if they're running Chandos? Stoney Lake club is still listing it as unsafe.

I was talking to a friend on Sunday who has a cottage SW of Trotter's Beach. He said there were quite a few sleds on the lake. I did a run up from Apsley to the Paudash cluhouse & down TOP E.

The lake still isn't staked but lots of tracks along the route where the stake line would be. If you know this route between Gilmour & West bays, you shouldn't have any problems. There is a section of "uneven" ice east of the entrance to South Bay.

On the way back I checked out the north shore between Trotter's Beach & the West Bay narrows. If you're riding east towards the beach, be careful along the last portion before you go around the point to the beach. There are a few ridges out from the shore. High enough to cause some damage if you were to hit them.

Also, there is a round, red marker stuck in the ice. It's about the size of a basketball. It does have some red reflective tape on it as well. I kicked it & it's fairly hard.

there was a fatality on Chandos this weekend unfortunately..

Snowmobile crash claims life of Oshawa man

Updated: Sun Feb. 21 2010 13:16:49

ctvottawa.ca

An Oshawa man is dead after his snowmobile crashed against a tree in Peterborough County on Saturday night. Ontario Provincial Police say they are waiting for the post-mortem results as they continue their investigation.

Bohdan Krawek, 58, had been driving on frozen Chandos Lake in North Kawartha Township before colliding with the tree on an island, police say.

He told his son he was going for a short ride on the lake, police say, and his son became alarmed when he didn't return four hours later. Krawek was found around 2:30 a.m. on Sunday.

Chandos Lake is about four hours west of Ottawa.

With files from CTV Toronto

here's the press clipping:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100221/OTT_snowmobiler_death_100221/20100221/?hub=OttawaHome

my condolences RIP

Chandos staked per OFSC trail conditions.

Might get to it this weekend as we have avoided running E south of Coe Hill due to nasty sanded logging section. No real snow to cover it since early Dec and reports of the unfortunate running it kept us away.

Archived