Trail Report Paudash & Buckhorn

revrnd

Did a loop up to Gooderham to get a revised track for BDSC 509, since the Salerno Creek bridge was replaced last summer. E107 & E108 (up to the Paudash/BDSC jct was good. E108 west to the #509 jct needs grooming as it appears to have gotten quite mogulled before the rain/freeze cycle.

I passed the northbound groomer @ the Salerno Creek bridge @ 1:30 PM. Not accomplishing much IMO. A fair bit of traffic on the trail today, so I doubt the trail would set up.

HCSA #9 & Paudash #607 (west of County Rd 3) were screwed. Lots of water ruts & moguls. East of County Rd 3 the trail was slightly better. The railbed to the Hadlington Trl was OK, a bit of gravel coming up thru the snow east of Hwy 118.

Not as many sleds out in general as I expected & not a single sno x wannabe. I guess it was to cold to ride w/ a MX helmet & low windshield. Considering the temp' it wasn't a bad day.

Every year we take a 'couples' trip. Ideally looking for a place to day trip out of for 4-5 days. Usually 2nd week of February. Every year we would like to try Bancroft as a base, and every year we have to cancel and revert to 'old stand-by' New Liskeard.

This year there are 10 of us. Any chance of going to Bancroft Febuary 15-20? Or are we looking for somthing further north again? Yah, I know there's snow in Muskoka, but since we live around Burk's Falls, we'd like to see something new.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Haliburton and Bancroft have had some of the largest snow amounts anywhere in the provinnce this year. They got walloped in December prior to Christmas and have maintained a good base thru the January Thaw. With some more snow conditions will be ideal for February.

• 2 weeks later...

We rode this area last weekend and the trails are very good. We rode B106E (watch for OPP on this trail), MLSS 173 & 175, E109, B between Whitney and Madawaska, E110, MLSS 181, 179, 180. E betweeen E109 and Eagle Lake, the base is getting wore out. We were going to try the B trial to Whitney but one guy had a break down. We did that run last year and it was low on snow. I've seen pic's this year that the have better snow conditions. You can also go south on B106E and take 950, 960, 910 and E back to B106E.

Archived