C trail culvert collision

b-bry

I was just reading about a bent tunnel on the Technical Forum - made me remember what I saw last weekend. maybe someone knows the details.

This was on C trail, immediately south of Muskoka airport, beside hwy 141 at hwy 400. Heading southward, the trail crosses the old hwy 69, then there's the intersection of trail 12. There are always tracks looping up and down the embankment to the highway right beside the trail - I've made some of those tracks. However, there's a hole with a culvert end there, not easily seen when you're making the loop on the embankment. Last weekend I noticed a sled track up the embankment, looping down into this massive hole. The sled would have connected head-on into a two-foot diameter culvert. OUCH!

There are big chunks of what appears to have been a cowling frozen into the snow around the culvert. I'm sure someone got hurt there. Does anyone know of this?

What make of sled ? We need any info you have for our ORS report.

That was last Sunday - we didn't stop long enough to dig the frozen pieces out. I only stopped because I came close to the culvert (while coming down from the embankment) the previous weekend. It scared me somewhat. That's why I took note of the track leading into the hole as I passed by. I tugged on the biggest piece frozen in there but it wouldn't come out.

That's only a 10 minute ride from your shop - maybe you can confirm what it is. It's between the old 69 and Roberts Lake rd, north side of the trail, right along the new 141 (used to be Airport Rd before it was rebuilt for the 400).

Archived