Pretty close in Haliburton!

Fred Quimby

Here you go:

From HCSA...

Trail Conditions

Updated: December 15, 2009

Things are shaping up well now with the dumping of snow and finally some colder temperatures!! We have some of the smaller machines out breaking open some of the wet spots. The Rail Trail has been groomed and we hope to have it open within the day (paperwork first!!)

There is still alot of water under the snow in spots so it is slow going. We cannot risk sinking a groomer and the safey of our volunteers has to be considered.

Due to some landowner concerns we are having delays getting small pieces of integral trail open, so we ask that unless you know that trail is open, do not go on it. It may result in us losing that piece of trail indefinitely. We ask your patience and are really working hard at getting all trails open and ready for all of us!!

Another issue is the section of trail 8 through Carnarvon. Hydro One bulldozed everything along HWY35 down to mud today to do some work. Nice. The poles they are setting have been laying there almost all Summer. Now, they decide that it is a good time to set those poles. I have been waiting a year for Hydro One to remove some trees from my property. Can you tell they are government workers??

As you all know, we must have a minimum of 10 inches of ice on any lake crossing before we will stake it. It will take some time for this to happen, so in the best interests of safety, stay off the ice... PLEASE

If anyone is out there and sees an area that could use some brushing etc. we could use your help in getting it cleared. If you are unable to help out personally, please notify us as to the area in concern so we can make arrangements to get it cleared. Thank you for your help!!

Forgot to add...

The good folks at Hydro One have trail 8 through Carnarvon all bulldozed up. They are now setting poles that have laid there in the ditch since last April. Apparently now is a good time to set poles after they have seasoned sitting in water and mud all Spring and Summer. I am also still waiting for them to remove trees on my property that they stated in a letter dated December 2008 that they would be completing over the next two weeks. Who does their scheduling?

Forgot to add...

The good folks at Hydro One have trail 8 through Carnarvon all bulldozed up. They are now setting poles that have laid there in the ditch since last April. Apparently now is a good time to set poles after they have seasoned sitting in water and mud all Spring and Summer. I am also still waiting for them to remove trees on my property that they stated in a letter dated December 2008 that they would be completing over the next two weeks. Who does their scheduling?

Or not. Maybe your forgot that you didn't forget to add. :P :poke: :P

I forgot that I forgot to add what I wanted to forget in the first place. More ice for my drink.

B103 is fully "OPEN" from Haliburton down past Kinmount. Other trails expected to be open by the weekend.

Forgot to add...

I am also still waiting for them to remove trees on my property that they stated in a letter dated December 2008 that they would be completing over the next two weeks. Who does their scheduling?

Well if they every do show up be ready for a mess when you get home. They did my house back in the spring and when they where done I had to spend $700 to have a tree removed that they had cut all the limbs off to "Clear the lines" as the guy told me on the phone. Left a 12 foot tree about 8inchs at the base and just cut every branch off it. Then they left every branch over 4inchs in a pile in my front yard. Because now anything that will not fit in their chipper they leave for the home owner to deal with. :umno:

Forgot to add...

I am also still waiting for them to remove trees on my property that they stated in a letter dated December 2008 that they would be completing over the next two weeks. Who does their scheduling?

Well if they every do show up be ready for a mess when you get home. They did my house back in the spring and when they where done I had to spend $700 to have a tree removed that they had cut all the limbs off to "Clear the lines" as the guy told me on the phone. Left a 12 foot tree about 8inchs at the base and just cut every branch off it. Then they left every branch over 4inchs in a pile in my front yard. Because now anything that will not fit in their chipper they leave for the home owner to deal with. :umno:

Try sending them a bill for what you spent in clean up charges. My next step would be to take photos and send them to the media for print. If they failed to pay the bill then threaten to send it to collections!

That tees me off when things like that happen. Sorry man.

Forgot to add...

Try sending them a bill for what you spent in clean up charges. My next step would be to take photos and send them to the media for print. If they failed to pay the bill then threaten to send it to collections!

That tees me off when things like that happen. Sorry man.

Then they'll 'accidentally' cut off your hydro in mid-February and charge you twice as much to fix the problem.

:P :P

Got a call this morning from the club Pres. They are breaking open all trails and hope to have them up and running ASAP. Got permission to run the trails to look for bad spots and trees down that need attention before the groomer gets through on the first pass. Christmas/ New Years riding. Way to go.

HCSA is grooming TOP B all the way along the hydro line to Whitney and the TOP E over into Bancroft is supposed to be good to go before the end of the weekend.

HCSA is grooming TOP B all the way along the hydro line to Whitney and the TOP E over into Bancroft is supposed to be good to go before the end of the weekend.

not yet they aren't, they did a loop from Ft. Irwin where they keep the machine & got up to the top end of Haliburton Lake and looped around. maybe in the next week they will get up to Whitney, but they need more snow & its all fluff, lots of rocks out there for the rock hunters...

not yet they aren't, they did a loop from Ft. Irwin where they keep the machine & got up to the top end of Haliburton Lake and looped around. maybe in the next week they will get up to Whitney, but they need more snow & its all fluff, lots of rocks out there for the rock hunters...

Well then I was lied to by the phonecall I had this afternoon! The snow conditions that way must be vastly different than what I have in Carnarvon. Almost three feet and heavy stuff that packs down well. Oh well.

Well then I was lied to by the phonecall I had this afternoon! The snow conditions that way must be vastly different than what I have in Carnarvon. Almost three feet and heavy stuff that packs down well. Oh well.

there is less snow in the Haliburton Forest then Carnarvon,and the further north in the forest you go,less snow,so for sure there is less snow on the hydro line up there,, :o

Just goes to show you how weird and localized the weather can be. There is more snow in Minden than in Haliburton and usually, the north end of the HCSA system is better snow wise than towards Minden. Hwy 118 is seemingly the dividing line. But hey... there is snow and the trails are opening slow but sure. It is fairly cold there this past few days so that is good. :D

From the HCSA website....

The Rail Trail has been groomed and is now OPEN as well as the B Top from the Boice Bradley (CR14) to Whitney is now Open LIMITED. Use care on the Top B due to some bare spots and icy sections. We are working hard at getting other trails packed and ready to open. Volunteers are out breaking trails preparing for the big groomers and have run into some more downed trees which will have now been cleared.

Conditions are improving daily. We have had smaller equipment out breaking and tramping down trails. Some minor mechanical problems keep arising that we hadn't counted on with our small groomers but should be up and running as soon as Couriers can get us the parts. The E trail to Paudash should be completed on Monday and will be opened then barring any problems with water

it is different. there is not as much snow further north. They hadn't made it past the East Road as of 2pm on Saturday, unless the Whitney club (which was aborbed I believe) came down? but the deal was MLSS would groom up to whitney and over to madawaska, hcsa would groom up to whitney and back.

good to know though thanks for the update. any news on the floating bridge?

it is different. there is not as much snow further north. They hadn't made it past the East Road as of 2pm on Saturday, unless the Whitney club (which was aborbed I believe) came down? but the deal was MLSS would groom up to whitney and over to madawaska, hcsa would groom up to whitney and back.

good to know though thanks for the update. any news on the floating bridge?

As of last week the floating bridge was still not in place. I hope this week with a lot of work going on they get this in place. It has been like three seasons now where Minden has been impossible to get into and through! Haliburton has sure been reaping the benefit of good access! There is almost always an array of sleds in town.

The weather and snow conditions are weird to say the least in that neck of the woods. You can have noticeably different snow conditions from one end of the trail system to the other, and often just the other side of Hwy 118 can differ greatly! :wtf:

I will try to keep everybody up yo date on this area as it seems there is very little communication from the club itself.

Thanks for the updates Fred!

I'm from London and thinking about driving up to a cottage on Pine Lake for Christmas. Is the riding decent and are there enough open trails to have a few day-runs up there?

HCSA is working hard right now to fix trails and waterholes. They sure needed the cold that has fallen in this week. A little more snow and things should be opened for the Holidays.

Archived