Quebec sledders and atv's join forces with Maps

Canuck

Well, ATV's have apparently kicked the snot out of trails in our area again this year (Six Mile Lake), creating huge ruts, bogs, etc.

Interesting for me to read about Quebec snowmobiles and quad groups putting out a joint map (via Tourism Quebec - which is even more interesting. Ministry putting out detailed maps?). Note the bold portions below - dedicated sled trails; dedicated winter quad trails and summer quad trails.

Tourisme Centre?du?Québec has released the 2009-2010 edition of a snowmobile and quad map for this winter season.

The tourism offices in Chaudière?Appalaches and Centre?du?Québec have opted to work hand?in?hand to broaden the options for snowmobilers and quaders coming to enjoy these sports, thus offering 4000 kilometers of snowmobile trails, 2250 kilometers of winter quad trails, and 800 kilometers of summer quad trails.

New this year: enthusiasts of these two sports can request a special edition of the 2009?2010 snowmobile and quad maps at trade shows or by Internet or phone. A certain number of these maps are printed on water?repellent paper.

Visitors will also be able to benefit from attractive packages combining lodging and repair/rental services in both regions. This shared endeavour has resulted in an increase in the number of maps printed and the very first participation for the Centre?du?Québec region in snowmobile and quad trade shows outside of Quebec.

When we have ridden in Quebec it is very evident the sharing of trails and thoroughfares. In some cases the sled trail and the ATV trail parallel each other and you can easily see duplicate signing, etc. at intersections. In some cases the trails merge and both are using the same throughfare although not at the same times of the year.

It's an interesting system and one of which I have no intimate knowledge. I don't know how they manage it. Interesting in that they seem to cohabit gracefully and (perhaps) there are some financial advantages to mutual endeavours.

Not unlike, maybe, we snowmobilers sharing in the good fortune of the Province donating money to the "multi-use" trails in Ontario.

Where I ride (both ATV and sled) there is a pretty decent partnership with both the snowmobile club and the ATV club. I am not saying that some trails don't get damaged, as they do. However the ATV club has been an active participant in trail repair, upgrades and new bridges. It is as good as a partnership can get for now. I have said it many times on this forum and other that these partnerships need to flourish in order for both powersports to continue.

What is still the problem is those fools who ride on trails that are off limits. These are the same guys who rip through corners on sleds and ride when the snowmobile trails are closed too. So at the end of the day those demons will always be around.

Archived