McKellar Trails and Lakes

ride44

Tons of snow but lakes arent safe yet. Last weekend I could see sections of manitouwabing that were still wide open.

I dont usually feel safe on it until mid January although im sure some sections might be ok if you know where your going.

I doubt any trails will be ready in our area as most of them have water crossings.

Agree with xcsldr here....don't hold out much hope for trails opening soon. What is needed is a week or so of extreme cold...minus 20 or cooler, for the ice to thicken up. The vast amount of snow is acting like a blanket of insulation on the ice, if the water body has ice coverage, preventing lake water from super cooling.

The larger water bodies between G'hurst and P.S. were pretty well open water.

Was out shovelling driveway edges yesterday and went through various layers of precipitation. The layer which included the rain that fell earlier this week was still water saturated and unfrozen despite a couple of nights of -15 to -20 temperatures.

However, the road to Ardbeg was pretty good!

So I assume they've finished some more of the road work on 520 so the road is no longer an axle bender? I usually run in the Bunny Trail to avoid 520 as much as possible

So I assume they've finished some more of the road work on 520 so the road is no longer an axle bender? I usually run in the Bunny Trail to avoid 520 as much as possible

Took the sled up Bunny Trail for a little boot. Good icy base and soft drifting snow for lube. As no trails open, trick is to get out before the plow comes along!

Archived