B104 east of Norland

Sksman

Does anyone know if the B104 east of Norland is going to open or why it remains closed?

I know snow conditions could be a factor and it’s a section of road running.

Its about 5.5km that remains closed.

it would be nice to ride east from Head Lake through to Kinmount.

18 hours ago, Sksman said:

Does anyone know if the B104 east of Norland is going to open or why it remains closed?

I know snow conditions could be a factor and it’s a section of road running.

Its about 5.5km that remains closed.

it would be nice to ride east from Head Lake through to Kinmount.

Just ride it brother, that whole section is ungroomed follow road to trail along the 503 and up Buller Rd. We broke the B104 early last week, then rode it again over the weekend after 2 groomer passes. It's rare that KLSC even puts the follow road to trail section to yellow, no idea why ?  More than enough in the ditches and roadside to make it less panful of a scrape now.  The B104 east from Buller Rd till it crosses the 503 at the Sommerville forest entrance is still a bit lumpy and does need more snow, but no issues other than having take it at a slower pace.  Should be mint after this next round of snow this week. 

There is another short quicker way but you have to have good local guidance cause it involves unmarked lake crossing on some sketchy ice. Jump on Shadow Lake just south of Norland, run down and across it, then ditch bang Baseline Line and Hughill Rds over to Four Mile Lake, run north east and jump off at Island Drive to Pinery Rd to hit the Sommerville Pinery trails and the rail trail. It's usually well tracked but I'd never advise anyone to take it without a well heeled local guide showing the safest route. 

Lastly the fun way, but only once we have at least 3ft of snow or better, cross the bridge in Norland, make left on Nevison Dr to Hydro corridor, follow the well tracked old 340/B104 to South Beaver Lake Rd out to Buller Rd, then follow Buller back south/west to the B104 trial head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Nutter.

i remember the Nevinson Road route.   Hopefully with snow it is passable this winter.

The Shadow Lake route would be something I will stay away from for now.