5 days trip Searchmont-Wawa-???

snofreak

Hi guys I am having trouble planning a 5 day trip starting Monday the 21 of January. I know Searchmont to Wawa, but after that I run into trouble. I have 2 days to ride from Wawa to Hornpayne, I want to head West and take the best route, but don't know where to stay or what the trails are really like. The motels I have called seem to not even know they have a trail next to them so they have not been any help. OFSC says all the trails are closed due to red alert, other topics on this forum say they were never closed :?: . I am from Michigan so I tend to get confused rather easily anyway ;) , so please let me know if things are really opened or not.

Hi guys I am having trouble planning a 5 day trip starting Monday the 21 of January. I know Searchmont to Wawa, but after that I run into trouble. I have 2 days to ride from Wawa to Hornpayne, I want to head West and take the best route, but don't know where to stay or what the trails are really like. The motels I have called seem to not even know they have a trail next to them so they have not been any help. OFSC says all the trails are closed due to red alert, other topics on this forum say they were never closed :?: . I am from Michigan so I tend to get confused rather easily anyway ;) , so please let me know if things are really opened or not.

A group of us are doing the same length trip starting Feb. 2.

Day 1 Searchmont-Chapleau

Day 2 Chapleau-Cochrane

Day 3 Cochrane-Hearst

Day 4 Hearst-Wawa

Day 5 Wawa-Searchmont

If you need help on lodging for any of these locations let me know. Dave

Dave- you are heading East we did that one a few years back. I want to head West but am unsure of realistic miles per day on these trails. Also unsure of the best places to stay. I have found that if you stay at the right places you can learn a lot about local riding (off trail riding, powder, short cuts). I have stayed at few of the wrong places that have had a hard time pointing me in the direction of the trail.

About your loop, have you ever done that one before? Day 2 could be a very long day if things don't work out right. The other days seem realistic as long as you have a fast group. Also if you could add another day and ride the local trails North of Hearst you would not be disappointed!

I checked the OFSC web site. It wat last updated Jan 14 and seems to not agree with the posts listed on this site by the guys who are actually doing the grooming. In fact the top line of it reads that all trails in this district are closed due to the recent warm spell and rains. I have found riding in Canada the best recource for trail info is from the guys (and girls) who are there. I don't know but I think OFSC site will list a trail as closed if there is a small creek that is open. Yes this would cause a problem blasting through at 100 mph but with a little common sense is no problem to navagate. Again I don't know how the OFSC web site works but in my experence is extremely conservative.

Check the trail status reports on the website http://www.ofsc.on.ca. It is the clubs that update this status twice a week. You can also follow the links to the clubs / associations / districts websites, for even more information. You'll find all the info you need. ;)

From what i understand my trail report for wawa is translated by the district and then forwarded to the ofsc who translates it to their site, it very seldomly accurately describes our trail condtions from my experience, which is why i post wawa conditions on my website for everyone to see.

What i do know is Wawa's main trails are excellent and we are working on extra club trails as time permits, our main concern is keeping the main trails well groomed with all the new snow falling. Halfway says the trail is very good from Searchmont and also Dubreuilville has most of their system open which i understand is in great shape too.

Thankyou jones! Both for the reply and for all the work you do on and off the trails. I hope everyone appreciates what Wawa and Duber does for this district. Also thank God this site is back online we probably would not be planning this trip without it!

You sound like a group that likes the trail less traveled?

IMO I would try to run from Wawa to Marathon for the first open day. Then run from there up the hydro (prolly won't be groomed yet - but maybe broken?) from Marathon up to Manitouwadge and then over to Hornepayne.

Snow conditions permitting - and I haven't heard anything from this area since the warm spell....

Dave- you are heading East we did that one a few years back. I want to head West but am unsure of realistic miles per day on these trails. Also unsure of the best places to stay. I have found that if you stay at the right places you can learn a lot about local riding (off trail riding, powder, short cuts). I have stayed at few of the wrong places that have had a hard time pointing me in the direction of the trail.

About your loop, have you ever done that one before? Day 2 could be a very long day if things don't work out right. The other days seem realistic as long as you have a fast group. Also if you could add another day and ride the local trails North of Hearst you would not be disappointed!

We have done Chapleau-Timmins before and got there by mid afternoon. We really want to stay at Lillibelle so we are going the added distance to Cochrane. We get a going pretty early in the morning and the group runs pretty quick together. Sled problems the last 2 years have prevented us from getting to Cochrane, hopefully we will make it this year. The damn yellow sleds that had problems the last couple of years are gone and replaced with Blue ones :lol: We plan to be at Lillibelle in time for the superbowl kickoff. I have ridden the area you are thinking before and the Wawa-Marathon run is a nice one. Good combination of tighter and open trails. West of Marathon things really slow down due to tight trails and very hilly, some might call it mountainous.

Archived