Windy Lake to Cochrane and Back- Report

tricky

Last Monday afternoon three of us drove from the GTA to Windy Lake Motel. As usual the Linton family and staff were great hosts for Monday night's supper, stay, and Tuesday breakfast. Called to try to book Post 392 for Tuesday night, but they were "closed". I didn't make the call so I don't know if that was just closed for the day or more to it. Had great snow, weather and trail conditions on C111D and C to Tata-Chika-Pika for Tuesday night. First time staying there with recent owners (2 years). Again experienced great hospitality, supper and breakfast(a bit too large for all of us).  Good conditions again Wednesday took us up C  and A106C to Cochrane for late lunch at Tim's. Then it was south on the A trail to Iroquois Falls and Auberge MacDonald for the night and our first stay there. Even though there was no restaurant onsite, I can recommend the place. It is beside the beer store, across from the liquor store and acceptable restaurants are close by. Complimentary muffin and coffee was Thursday's breakfast. Also complimentary at the Auberge was indoor heated sled storage. Nice touch that would quickly be oversubscribed if more that five sleds showed up. Thursday started out cold at -22 and windy and stayed pretty much the same all day as our trip took us to Auld Reekie Lodge at Gowganda. Good hospitality, service and food again, if a bit more expensive. The A trail south of Matheson to almost Kirkland Lake was the only bit of nasty trail we encountered in four days. Good chance to use that expensive modern suspension. Friday AM began with -29 temp, but quickly warmed up in the bright sunshine. We had an enjoyable ride back across A107C to C south and 111 back to Windy Lake. Our original plan was to ride a bit in the Sudbury area Friday and drive home Saturday but the impending snow storm scared us off. We rode directly to Windy Lake Motel, had a great early supper and drove home.

Great friends, mostly great weather and trail conditions for four days. Found two, new to us, overnight destinations in Tata-Chika-Pika and Auberge MacDonald. Can't wait for the next trip! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately, Post 392 was sold last year and is permanently closed.  It was a great place to stay.  Great report.  Thanks

• Thanks 1

great report. We stayed at the Auberge a few years ago,  but as you mentioned you had to get to the garage early if you wanted the heated garage. My son and I are actually heading up next week. Starting off in New Liskeard , running to Kirlkand lake staying the night, then onto Cochrane for 2 nights , hoping to do the loop, then back again. So your report helps us out. 

22 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Unfortunately, Post 392 was sold last year and is permanently closed.  It was a great place to stay.  Great report.  Thanks

Thanks sledjunk for the information. I had wanted to stay there for several years, but the daily trip mileage never worked out. This year it did, and I'm too late!

You indeed missed out on a great experience.  We stayed there the last year it was in operation.