Algonquin Land Claim

marximuus

Thought I'd put this up for anyone that is not aware of this or just want to follow it.

OnThursday, April 11, 2013 at 7:00pm, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, the Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association and the Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Association will be hosting a webcast on the Algonquin Land Claim.

To view the webcast, simply log onto www.algonquinlandclaim.ca.

It is important that anyone concerned with the land claim and the potential impact it may have on hunting, fishing, access to resources, camping, hunting, canoeing, hiking, etc., or want more information on the land selection process and the parcels of land that have been selected by the Algonquin, plan to watch.

Might want to look at the Williams Treaty of 1924. If Algonquin bothers you, Williams will scare you!! Trust me!

I went to a information session this week, as it affects the crownland around our house, the first parcel of land across the road from our house is 1850 acres & they have labelled the land use as economical development. Yes, this parcel of land has snowmobile trail on it, as well as other trails. I spoke to a representative from the Algonquins & she said that their big concern is liability, but how are they going to police the 117,000 acres of land, she said they will not be putting up fences & gates. I did tell her that we have been using these trails for over 30 years & they only exist because people in our area maintain them.

In the land claim there is only about 8,000 algonquin, 300 million dollars & 117,000 acres of land (which is 216 parcels of land). Looking at the map for our area, it will affect 3 snowmobile trails, including a TOPS trail, this agreement is only a draft, they are hoping to have a final agreement in the next 5 years. The Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters (facebook) have letters to send to MP, MPP, Premier of Ontario, Prime Minister, so you may want to jump on the band wagon.

Archived