French River Area Trails

jacey

Were heading up to Commanda lake Friday, I was talking to a friend yesterday who lives in the Powassan area, he said the trails look a little thin for snow, as well as lakes are unsafe in spots. We were considering going towards the French ourselves. The OFSC reports it as Limited.

I live in the French River area, and I can tell you that snow is very limited. I just came back from a trip in the north yesterday(New Liskeard/Kirkland Lake/Cochrane) and there is definitely a lot more snow over there. My husband just went for a ride here today just to see how the trails were, and he said that they are not very nice. Very icy and not enough snow.

So trails are manageable if you want to come to your cottage, but if you want to ride the trails and put some miles on your sled, definitely go North. New Liskeard is not to far from here and they have lots of snow. They did not get the rain that we did at the beginning of the week.

Thanks for the update snow_girl....glad we've got someone 'on the ground' in your area. We rode those trails the year both bridges were open and really liked them...varied scenary, not too much sled traffic and good sight lines on the trails.

Is the parking lot at the new Interpretive Center plowed and accessable during the winter? Good spot to park and drop for a day ride if it is. Also heard that the Champlain Restaurant/BB was closed?

I don't know if the parking at the French River Visitor's Centre is open during the winter. I would imagine that it has to be kept maintained, but I can't confirm. I haven't been in that area this year. The Centre is maintained by Ontario Parks, so I may be able to find out. I'll post if I can get an answer for you.

Yes the Champlain Inn is now closed. It was bought by MTO for the Hwy 69 four laning. FYI, the Offroad Steakhouse a little further north was also recently bought by MTO and should be closing soon I imagine. Most of the properties along Hwy 69 have been sold and all buildings are being demolished.

I just went out for a short drive with my husband and our two kids this morning. Surprisingly trails were groomed, so they are not too bad. We sure could use some snow though. Lost of icy spots, but just drive carefully. Hopefully the weather will stay on the minus side, because a couple warmer days will put an end to this seasons riding in this area. My husband is already planning another trip in Cochrane...

I heard the trails are very limited in the french river area. We were staying at Killarney Bay Inn this past weekend and a couple rode up from parry sound and said the trails from French River up were just horrendous and it took them hours to get there. Im not sure if any grooming is going on due to lack of snow and all the swamps in the area.

Is the parking lot at the new Interpretive Center plowed and accessable during the winter? Good spot to park and drop for a day ride if it is. Also heard that the Champlain Restaurant/BB was closed?

I just got confirmation that the parking lot at the Interpretive Centre is plowed by MTO, but overnight parking is NOT permitted. But you can park your truck and go for a ride for the day.

Archived