Michigan's UP or Wawa

Yamatario

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Who knows? AFAIK, SAR for Ontario (& a lot of central Canada) is based out of Trenton (east of Toronto). Probably easier to contact, faster response time to have the USCG effect the evac'. 'Agent Orange' medevac choppers don't do rescue work either. The patient has to be transported to the helicopter (on a closed portion of highway or field) for transport to medical facilities.

I heard that is where they come from and they have to come so far that there is a cut off time after which they just do not leave the ground.  They will not do night (after dark) cable drop pickups and especially around Hydro towers. 

The guy was probably not going to make it through the night as it was very cold and there is no local ground based rescue that would have made it until morning.  It was after the take off window, so they asked for permission to have the Traverse City based recue team come into Canada and hoist the guy.  They had to stop briefly in SSM and then go up and grab the guy and take him back to SSM to get him to the hospital. 

Sean played a big part in getting that all to happen.  He had learned the system after the two guys hit head on the previous season 20 miles south of this incident on the same trail.  I am hoping they would have still come if it was not a U.S. Citizen that was hurt.

Sean has had paperwork done to request a grant for a special climate controlled sled in which a person can be stabilized and towed out.  It has suspension and is convertible from skis to wheels in those months 4 wheelers are active.  This is his 2nd request, but is hopeful for next season.

Sean was an EMS guy and retired from the fire department in Michigan. 

7 hours ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Did they make you undress in the door at Moose Horne Lodge?  lol  I head funny stories last weekend.  head it was a nice place.

They had put us in the cabin, so no issue with taking snow clothes off at lodge door.

Archived