Haliburton Forest trails Dec 30 - Jan 2

slomo

Isn't that when you tell someone that you were just cruising along minding your own business when this tree just jumped right in front of you? :icon_steer:

If only...

Too fast, too icy in the corner and too close of a call. If it were not for some deep powder and some by the seat of my pants driving, I would have been a statistic.

If thats true, then something is WRONG with the HF trails.....

Nope.

Not a thing wrong with the trails themselves. Main trails are wide (road width), have long straight-a-ways, and are in good shape with enough snow cover. The single track trails are great for poking along as they wind through dense bush, marshland, and some of the most amazing look-outs you will see in Ontario.

Guys get in there and abuse speed as there are places to crack it open. Some a little too much and then a corner comes up and they wonder, what happened? Like the guys in the video.

Remember they are not OFSC trails and therefore do not conform to trail signage policy. You also sign a fairly comprehensive waiver when you get there before you are given your pass.

When I go there I usually take it easy during the morning ride, to feel out the trail. That way after lunch you have an idea of where it is icy, or there is water or whatever. The OPP are now making regular visits to the HF at the request of HF. They run radar, check insurance, that sort of thing. Beware. You might not even see the OPP truck and trailer in the lot either. They can and do gain access through Wilkinson road or HCSA trail 11 from Redstone Lake.

being there when it happened I can tell you the speed wasnt overly excessive. that being said the conditions had gotten to the point where we should have let off a bit. we did shut it down after that happened though, i can take blame for it happening i should have called it quits before it happened. i am just happy neither of them got hurt.

Archived