Ontario back road maps and OFSC trails

dweese

I just bought the SD card version of "Backroad Maps". I can tell you factually a few things. The snowmobile trails on the SD card (for Haliburton at least..) are way off in most cases. They are not identified correctly and some do not even exist. Totally un reliable IMO.

However..

The ATV trails seem to be bang on. Un assumed roads are perfect as are old logging roads too. Hiking trails are also bang on. Canoe routes, portages, camps, boat ramps, and many other features are accurate.

It makes me wonder what happened when they logged the snowmobile trails for this area? Anybody comment about other areas trails?

Overall, a good purchase. Well worth it. I already have the HCSA on a SD card so no big deal about backroad maps being inaccurate.

There is a new BRM addition for all prov available now.Paper only.

I am not sure if the new book is accuarate. I will have to pick one up. The OFSC trails in my area are way off. Really bad in fact. Other trails are quite accurate. The SD card version I have has OFSC trails on it that have not existed in eons, and most are not labelled right at all. That part is too bad. The other trails are great which helps make up for the poor mapping of the OFSC parts.

I am not sure if the new book is accuarate. I will have to pick one up. The OFSC trails in my area are way off. Really bad in fact. Other trails are quite accurate. The SD card version I have has OFSC trails on it that have not existed in eons, and most are not labelled right at all. That part is too bad. The other trails are great which helps make up for the poor mapping of the OFSC parts.

I have the map as well for the garmin. For my area (15) where i sled the maps are dead on for the most part. Some key smaller lakes are missing though. All in all a good map. I just wish you could be zoomed out farther and still see the ofsc trail. I dont think its viewable outside of 3 miles?

I have the map as well for the garmin. For my area (15) where i sled the maps are dead on for the most part. Some key smaller lakes are missing though. All in all a good map. I just wish you could be zoomed out farther and still see the ofsc trail. I dont think its viewable outside of 3 miles?

Good to know your area is accurate. I wonder where Backroadmaps got the OFSC trails for the Haliburton area?? I have not looked at the map further out than 3 miles so I can't comment. You might be right!

I am amazed at how accurate they are with logging roads, portages, old bush roads, and hiking trails!

Most Garmins default to "Normal" for map detail. If that is what yours is set too go into Map Setup and change it to "Most"...you might be able to see the trails at a greater zoom.

Most Garmins default to "Normal" for map detail. If that is what yours is set too go into Map Setup and change it to "Most"...you might be able to see the trails at a greater zoom.

yes unit is set to most. Works the same reguardless whether its in the nuvi 550 or oregon hand held. The detail for old bush roads is amazing. Deer hunting last year we used 50 years old skitter ruts that were on the map to get us out of the bush on atv's as we took a short cut and worked great.

Archived