how far North can you go on Georgian Bay

mmonti599

We had our first ride on the Georgian bay last week. Went from Mindin to what appeared to be near Gravenhurst area. The ice was all staked and the ride was awesome... ran into a bunch of sleds near a water skipping hole which seemed to be a well known spot. Can anyone tell me how far North we'd be able to ride the ice? Can you get as far as Bracebridge, Huntsville, farther. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

We had our first ride on the Georgian bay last week. Went from Mindin to what appeared to be near Gravenhurst area. The ice was all staked and the ride was awesome... ran into a bunch of sleds near a water skipping hole which seemed to be a well known spot. Can anyone tell me how far North we'd be able to ride the ice? Can you get as far as Bracebridge, Huntsville, farther. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Georgian Bay is to the west of the areas you're describing. I don't know it that well - only the Midland/Penetang/Honey Harbour area.

I'm aware of groups leaving Midland for Parry Sound. Rumour has it, that the Bay can be used as a shortcut to North Bay.

Obviously not something you'd do alone or without someone who's done it before.

Icebreaker has left jagged ice. Careful.

Thanks. Yes, now that I look at the map it appears to be Severn bay. That's what we were hoping that it would be a short cut to Parry Sound or higher if we follow the shore line. We'll have to explore carefully. Typically only ride on staked lakes.

Archived