Trails Warning - Crossing Roads

webmaster-dywsc

I wish could be more specific and even name a town, but unfortunately I can't...I missed the other half of the conversation....

I was listening to "a roads department" employee over the radio describe the junction of a snowmobile trail and a road; he was informing his superior that if a sled were to cross the road and hit the solid ice transition - described as a "solid wall of ice", that the rider "sure would know it...". The supervisor indicated that the maintenance of said trail was the responsibility of the club and groomers. The employee said again " it's solid ice - it'll hurt". No response.

I understand it's a dollars/manpower and maybe even a liability issue; I'll bet that the public works doesn't make the call to the local club to describe the hazard, inform of the location so it can be fixed by the club.

Since I only have the ability to listen to Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Parry Sound district, and Huntsville roads, the area/trail is in one of those regions. I suppose, considering the weather, we should in general be extra cautious in the upcoming days until conditions return to normal. I want to make sure credit is given to the employee, whoever he was, for reporting a dangerous situation.

After listening a bit longer, I believe that this is a situation that exists in Bracebridge.

Steve

Sounds like a road superintendent I'm familiar w/. Dead end roads w/ a single house that the club uses as well are plowed to dirt or major amounts of sand dumped.

I think there also were some complaints in the Haliburton area last year in the same vein.

I would hate to be the poor employee having it on his conscience if something ever did happen. He tried to do something & it fell on deaf ears.

Sounds like a road superintendent I'm familiar w/. Dead end roads w/ a single house that the club uses as well are plowed to dirt or major amounts of sand dumped.

I think there also were some complaints in the Haliburton area last year in the same vein.

I would hate to be the poor employee having it on his conscience if something ever did happen. He tried to do something & it fell on deaf ears.

Well where ever it is, here's to hoping snowfall amounts make the whole issue a done deal in short order.

Archived