Where's trail 44?MSR

Kerry

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out where trail 44 is.My wife and I dropped in Gravenhurst and had planned on doing D north to 44 to D103B into Port Sydney and then back down D to load.We couldn't find the turn or any sign saying 44 or directions to.Looked in both directions still can't figure it out.We were also going to stop into the Port Sydney Pub and Bistro for lunch but the restaurant sign said closed and it was pretty quiet round there.Anyway as it turned out we carried on on D north and looped around trail 37 and back down into Bracebridge where we stopped at the Purple Pig and had a great lunch.The OPP were working the intersection of D and 37south junction and we passed through both ways.Had a great ride save for one idiot on a piped skidoo,skis two feet in the air that passed us at the ridge of a hill with absolutely no sight line of oncoming traffic.I shudder to think that we had passed a family of three on a GTX not five minutes earlier,what could have happened.

The trails actually improved with traffic as the snow got pushed down a bit and the ride home didn't seem as slippery as on the way up.

Anyway help on the turnoff for 44 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kerry

Kerry, sorry to hear about the idiot you encountered. Don't get me started on them as I'm still shaking from an incident 3 weeks ago that hubby encountered.

Actually it was more then an incounter, it was a write off of my new etec that only had 275 kms on her.

Thank goodness for the insurance as we were able to get her replaced last week.

Sorry to hear about that.Hope you see many miles on the new one.I don't mind people going faster than me.I do mind when they think a snowmobile trail is for snowcross racing.All others that passed us on our ride realized that when we got in a safe spot to pull more right and motion for them to pass they gave us the thumbs up and wave going by.I've got mirrors but that doesn't mean I gotta move outta the way this instant.Certainly not on a corner or at the CREST of a hill that's for sure.

Kerry

If I'm not mistaken, 44 is the trail that leads off the D from the south side of the gravel pit.

If you're coming from Gravenhurst, it leads to the right just before you enter the gravel pit.

From Bracebridge, you cross the RR tracks and it's from the left after the gravel pit.

Lots of idiots out yesterday on D123 in Burk's Falls area... nobody seems to realize that the trails are two-way and that there might actually be oncoming traffic.

If I'm not mistaken, 44 is the trail that leads off the D from the south side of the gravel pit.

If you're coming from Gravenhurst, it leads to the right just before you enter the gravel pit.

From Bracebridge, you cross the RR tracks and it's from the left after the gravel pit.

Lots of idiots out yesterday on D123 in Burk's Falls area... nobody seems to realize that the trails are two-way and that there might actually be oncoming traffic.

Ya thats the way, just after you get off Winhara rd going north. Did a run onn 44 Sat and it was freshly groomed and in great shape. Has a bit of roads to run but they were fine with fresh snow.

That is exactly what happened to hubby 3 weeks ago, he ended up wrapping around a tree and as he put it flying like Superman.

Thank goodness he was not seriously hurt or dead.

Ya thats the way, just after you get off Winhara rd going north. Did a run on 44 Sat and it was freshly groomed and in great shape. Has a bit of roads to run but they were fine with fresh snow.

Ok guys,

If memory serves I think where you are stating had a sign post with establishments on it but also had a lime green 'snowmobile test ride today from 10 to 4' taped over it?

Your directions make sense south of the tracks from BB but north of Winhara road.Thanks guys!

Kerry

Ya thats the way, just after you get off Winhara rd going north. Did a run on 44 Sat and it was freshly groomed and in great shape. Has a bit of roads to run but they were fine with fresh snow.

Ok guys,

If memory serves I think where you are stating had a sign post with establishments on it but also had a lime green 'snowmobile test ride today from 10 to 4' taped over it?

Your directions make sense south of the tracks from BB but north of Winhara road.Thanks guys!

Kerry

Yes, that's where it is. If you're coming from the south it's a right hand turn just as you're entering the pits. It will take you over hwy 118 and then under hwy 11 at the Falls. At that point the trails splits and I'm not sure how adequate the signage is. If you go right you are on Trail 8 Snowcrest Riders which will take you back south. Take a left turn and you will be on 44 that intersects with 41 taking you out to D103B

We do almost all of our riding in the Burks Falls area, hardly a weekend goes by that there isn't at least one close call. I used to lead our rides all the time, not anymore just don't want to put myself out there anymore. I think this is one of the reasons I enjoyed riding north of Temagami. 5 days and not a single near miss, we hardly saw any sleds all week until we headed back to Temagami on Friday. There were a few "weekend warriors" out then but not nearly as bad as it can get further south.

That is exactly what happened to hubby 3 weeks ago, he ended up wrapping around a tree and as he put it flying like Superman.

Thank goodness he was not seriously hurt or dead.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your sled but thankfully nobody was seriously hurt! Unfortunately, this stuff will continue to happen while the irresponsible bunch think the trails are for snowcross practice.

We do almost all of our riding in the Burks Falls area, hardly a weekend goes by that there isn't at least one close call.

I couldn't believe the number of near misses on the way up D123 on Saturday. One Yamaha decided that he needed the full trail to do a corner at high speed, so I had to stop dead so he could pass. His left ski was fully on my right hand side of the trail. A few seconds sooner and it would've been head on.

There were a few "weekend warriors" out then but not nearly as bad as it can get further south.

I've ridden in Temagami a few times and the trails are generally more wide open than in Burk's Falls. I like the tight, twisty trails, but I'd like them more if I knew nobody was coming the other way trying to kill me!

I've ridden in Temagami a few times and the trails are generally more wide open than in Burk's Falls. I like the tight, twisty trails, but I'd like them more if I knew nobody was coming the other way trying to kill me!

I really like the trails around Burks Falls as well, sledding is why we originally bought a cottage there but some weekends I wonder why we even go sledding around there. In my opinion they have some of the very best trails and the club does an amazing job but I guess more and more people are coming to realize this and the traffic around there has increased so much in the past few years. Looking forward to the days when we do all of our riding on weekends and spend the weekends just relaxing!

Thanks again for all the replies.I guess we could have just taken a run up and investigated......but we didn't.Our loss but we did really enjoy trail 37 as we hadn't been on it before either so all was not lost and we only had two sleds pass us on that whole trail so it was great.

Just so everyone knows the groomer went through town here in Orillia today so I expect the rest are done again around here.

Kerry

Thanks again for all the replies.I guess we could have just taken a run up and investigated......but we didn't.Our loss but we did really enjoy trail 37 as we hadn't been on it before either so all was not lost and we only had two sleds pass us on that whole trail so it was great.

Just so everyone knows the groomer went through town here in Orillia today so I expect the rest are done again around here.

Kerry

Trail 37 is a great ride !!

Thanks for the info on Orillia; knowing that, we may head down that way on Saturday.

Went out today on the short loop. Orillia thru Hawkestone to the T and across to cooch and back.Passed the groomer on B103,he had done one side and was going up the road probably heading home for dinner.Anyway the wind the past couple of days has really lumped up exposed spots on the rail line already and some spots up in behind Walmart.Hopefully they get done again before the weekend.Amazing how much snow we lost to the rain.First time back on our trails since then.

Kerry

Archived