Bancroft, Apsley, Havelock, Madoc, return to Bancroft

WEFusion900

Has anyone done this loop this year?

Arriving tomorrow and would like to try this on Thursday.

Any input on where to eat, get gas, trails to take or avoid?

Planning on E110, E, E107, E106, B106E

Also looking on how long this would take time wise (at the posted limit of course ;)

The trails between Apsley & Bancroft should be OK. I haven't been that far south though, so I can't comment on things in the Havelock or Madoc area. In Havelock E107 passes right by a gas station in the east end of town. Just north of Gilmour Trudys gas is just off TOP E on Hwy. 62.

I'm pretty sure there's road running to get gas in Madoc or Marmora.

Did that loop 3 weeks ago. Trails were good but there are a few ungroomed areas between Havlock and Apsley. They may be fine now. Signage is also poor south of Apsley into Havlock. Great trip do it every year. It takes about 7 hours but that depends how much time you spend at lunch. Gas is available in Madoc,Eldorado,Trudys,Bancroft,Apsley and Havelock. No problems there. Have a good ride. One more thing do it from Bancroft to Apsley direction. The run from Madoc is all railline to Bancroft is real easy no turns etc good after a long day>

Revnd and Nimrod,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

According to the map the 805 at Oak lake cuts the corner between E107 & E106. Should I take that if I'm running short on time or stick to the E107 & E106?

Is this loop mainly woods trails, access roads, hydro line or rail line or a mixture?

Revnd and Nimrod,

According to the map the 805 at Oak lake cuts the corner between E107 & E106. Should I take that if I'm running short on time or stick to the E107 & E106?

Is this loop mainly woods trails, access roads, hydro line or rail line or a mixture?

Stay away from 805! Last winter I did it & I had a hard time thru there. I even pre-ran the section between E107 & Cordova Lake. A lot of road running & very little signage. It may be longer to stay on E107 & E106, but you shouldn't have to spend any time scratching your helmet as to which sled tracks to follow.

The route you're taking is pretty well everything you've listed, even some field in the Havelock area.

Well I made it Thursday but it wasn’t pretty. We had a sled go down with a broken suspension bolt that rendered the sled basically un-rideable. So we left two boys at Twin Lakes(he was open till six and would stay open later if someone was there) while two of us went back to get the trailer. Stony Lake Marina was closed and Blue Mountain lunch bar closed at 5.

Looking at the map we thought we would continue on to B106 and to the Heritage trail as going back the way we came was 3+ hrs.

Big Mistake!!! As we got lost several times as the trail markings are had to find, not in place or have been removed (especially at intersections). Ended up riding the roads for hours and finally found a home with school buses outside who supplied directions to the Heritage trail. Took us 4 hours to get back to camp and another hr to get to twin lakes. The boys had been there 5 hours and were feeling no pain, drank a lot of beer and played a lot of pool. Bruce was a fine host!!

Lesson learned – always backtrack if your not sure.

When I got back to camp and reviewd the maps I think I ended up on 805 or 804, or 803 even though I didn't see any signs, these trails are best left to the locals.

When I got back to camp and reviewd the maps I think I ended up on 805 or 804, or 803 even though I didn't see any signs, these trails are best left to the locals.

Two emails you may want to contact:

Carolin Cassidy (Dist' 2 Manager): dist2@snowbase.ca

Havelock Dist' S/C: cheriesemlitch@hdsc.ca

I sometimes wonder if the OFSC ever audits some clubs' trails. Yes, spotty signage may be OK for locals, but if you're travelling it's brutal. I probably would've been in the same boat as you last winter if I hadn't had a GPS w/ me to steer me in the general directions.

We have a cottage on Lake Kashabog and rarely ride south towards Havelock as we always get lost.

The signage is awful and the only way I will do it now is if I take a GPS.

We have tried a few of the side trails to take as shortcuts but it never turns out that way.

We end up taking E107 North and than doing some loops that way.

I was on the Rice Lake trails yesterday & had no problems w/ their signage. I just wish they had their trail #s shown.

Archived