Lake status around McKellar

crewchief69

Lakes in and around mckellar area are fine. I rode on most of them last weekend and with the cold this past week I have no doubt they are all good to go. Obviously some spots that have heavy currents you need to be aware of .

Lakes in and around mckellar area are fine. I rode on most of them last weekend and with the cold this past week I have no doubt they are all good to go. Obviously some spots that have heavy currents you need to be aware of .

xcsldr - Was told by neighbour to avoid area around Grey Owl as there was open water (more than usual) and not staked yet, as well trail 805 listed as closed. So this weekend went south instead, without looking at this area. Have you been around there to check it out? I would agree the cold temps over week should have firmed things up and would be great if that trail were to open this week.

Also, apparently a machine sank close to the government dock in Manitowabing over McKellar way, but just have hearsay on this.

Slomo I wasnt up north this past weekend. As I suggested there are always spots on lakes you need to be wary of.

On manitouwabing at the town dock is the river mouth. It never freezes here and people use it as a puddle jumping spot. The problem is that when the current is relaxed and its really cold youll get an inch or two of ice which can be a concern to unsuspecting slow moving sledder. There are several other locations on Manitouwabing to be wary of and are not safe to travel unless the dam isnt flowing and its been real cold...ie, up the river towards hurdville and towards the dam on Hurdville Road, up the river past the Inn at manitou, under the bridge at mckellar centre road(thats why the trail gets you off the lake before the bridge, but youll see later on in the season that many run the river , including me, all the way to Broadbent Road)

That spot where the culvert goes through Great Owl Road is another location that never freezes and another puddle jump area. I suspect the narrows on Grey Owl are the reason why the 805 is listed as closed although im sure many have made it through. There have been several sleds that have gone through the ice there over the years.

As always, the lakes for the most part are in good shape with about a foot of good ice but you need to be familiar with the weak spots. In general you need to avoid river mouths especially after any kind of warm up or high water.

Good advice for everyone around there....

I suspect the narrows on Grey Owl are the reason why the 805 is listed as closed although im sure many have made it through. There have been several sleds that have gone through the ice there over the years.

Had our boat through there a couple of years ago...passage from Lorimer Lake over to Grey Owl....water in most cases is very shallow with the occasional deep spot which creates some very swift currents...likely why ice doesn't freeze. (lots of stumps too) Where the stakes usually go, past the dock and around the long sweep to the left (going north) isn't that deep at all.

Had a good little jaunt with Ms. Slomo on back over Manitobowabing, 804, and a bit south on C101...also Vowel and Harris Lakes are good if you follow the main traffic tracks.

Hey XC

Have you made the run down Blackwater, Isabella, Duck lakes yet?

I went that way a couple weeks ago and didnt see tracks onto blackwater at the end of the field so I didnt go, but the roads were in good shape. I would imagine someone has broke the trail by now.

Hey XC

Have you made the run down Blackwater, Isabella, Duck lakes yet?

I went that way a couple weeks ago and didnt see tracks onto blackwater at the end of the field so I didnt go, but the roads were in good shape. I would imagine someone has broke the trail by now.

Thanks

I am heading up this weekend so I will check it out.

Lots of slush on manitouwabing outside of the trail. Considering we dont have a ton of snow on the lake Im amazed at how much slush there is. The dam was recently closed so water is rising above the ice.

Lots of slush on manitouwabing outside of the trail. Considering we dont have a ton of snow on the lake Im amazed at how much slush there is. The dam was recently closed so water is rising above the ice.

Noticed the same thing on lakes local to my place and those up on the 805. Fine if you stick to the trail....however you could hit some nasty bumps due to tracked slush freezing up if you're going a fair clip.

Ice formation this year is pretty 'layered' -black ice-snow-brown ice - snow. Maybe why so much slush....?

just got back and Manitowabing is a slushy mess off the stake line. Cold as hell up there but doesn't seem to be getting down to the slush layer. Definately want to stay on the marked trails.

Otherwise, the trails were pretty good but didn't venture far with only 1 sled this trip so no partner to have along "just in case".

Archived