Ice Bridge - Probability

Gasgeber

Hallo,

I am new to Snowmobiling (from Germany, visiting a friend in Michigan this year). I was wondering a couple things and I hope someone can help a little;)

Do you think the ice bridge could open until Mid-February between Drummond Island and St. Joseph Island? It is hard to find information about the status, about the only status I found was on algomatrails.com, but not very helpful at the end.

I was also wondering about the Ontario district 12 and 13 trails. Do you think - as a probablitity - a ride from either drummond island or sault ste marie (depending on the ice bridge) to elliot lake to killaerny to sudbary and back by snowmobile (several days) will be possible? I am just wondering, because it looks pretty irregular how the trails are opening (if at all). In Michigan as contrary it sounds more like "all trails more fair to good/excellent ridable", in Ontario it is more like "almost all are closed". How comes this difference?

And my last question (for now): If the ice bridge will not be open until mid February, is is possible to travel from US to Canada in Sault Ste Marie via Snowmobile? If not, how do I get from trail to trail without trailer?

I thank for every help in forward, Greetings

Timo

Timo,

I've ridden this area for a number of years now and I'll give you my OPINION only.

Yes, I think the ice bridge will open by mid February. Watch the Algoma site for status and believe what they say! Don't ride until it's staked! Way to confusing out there on the "big ice" to navigate. Snow squalls can make it deadly if you get off the marked crossing. Also you can call Hilton Beach Restaurant. They're right on St Joe Is. They'll know.

If the current weather trends hold, you should be fine to make your trip...especially mid Feb. The Ontario trails only open when every swamp, river, mud hole is frozen and groomed over. They do this because of liability reasons. People ride them before they're officially open, but it is frowned upon and can be dangerous if you're flying down a trail and hit a wash-out. Every district has many clubs; some clubs have more resources than others and open the trails accordingly. If the weather holds, they will get them opened-up as quickly as possible. They want your money too ;).

Michigan trails, especially in the UP receive lots of lake effect snow which only requires cold air blowing across the great lakes, not a storm, therefore lake effect snows come early and often starting in December.

I don't know how to get from US to Canada through the ste. w/o a trailer. Try calling the Watertower Inn (Ste Canada), perhaps they'll send a trailer and get you from Ste Michigan to their Hotel (stay a night, great outdoor hot tub). Canadian trails begin in their parking lot. Another idea is Northstar Polaris/Arctic Cat snowmobile dealer in Ste Michigan. I'm sure they'd trailer you for a small fee.

Good Luck,

Jack in Ohio

The probability of the international ice bridge opening in mid February currently looks favorable. The bays are currently locked in but there is still much "open" water. Colder temperatures are forcasted this week end which will help. Always check ice conditions before crossing. Two web sites for info are ALGOMA SNOW PLAN and DRUMMOND ISLAND.NET. You must check in with US Customs upon entering Drummond Isand from Canada. Last year their hours were I believe 12:00pm to 9:00 pm, this may be different this year. Entering Canada you must also check in with Canada Customs on St. Joseph Island.

Hallo,

thanks again. I hope the weather will stay like this. We will start our trip Feb 10th and it ends (second half in the UP) Feb 21th. Looking very much forward to it!

I am watching

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/Great_La ... Composite/

http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/App/WsvPageD ... 0&Lang=eng

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/great_la ... _graphics/

To me its looks quite encouraging ;)

Greetings

Timo

Archived