Final Report From Haliburton?

Fred Quimby

Well the wife and I headed north on Friday afternoon to get in one more ride in god's country. It is hard to believe that with well over two feet of snow in the bush and snowbanks almost four feet high, that the season is drawing quickly to a close.

What a Winter. I still remind myself that without the massive January thaw and the too numerous to count rain days and mini thaws that there would be close to five feet of snow. With all that being said this weekend saw some decent Spring riding. We trailered over to the Stanhope fire hall and embarked down trail 4 over to the start of trail 1. We found that the corners were getting thin and some sections were pretty loose and chewed up. The straights were better with still several inches of hard packed snow for the most part. There was the odd rock sticking up and some muddy spots but not too bad given this was the end of March break. Last year the trails were officially closed and should have been even sooner!

Taking the TOPB up to Eagle Lake and onto Moose Lake saw some really good running! Following up to Redstone and Kenisis and through Clear Lake and Red Pine were equally fun. We returned down Little Hawk cutting through Indian Pass and back onto trail 4 and down. I had not done much lake running this year and with the trails becoming marginal, this was a good option. I would suggest that with more rain this week and some mild temperatures that this might be the last kick at the can. Just two weeks ago the trails were the best I have seen all Winter too! How quickly things change!

The roads are toast for sure!! Perhaps if the rain this week is not too severe it will be possible to trailer to a drop off and get in another shot this weekend. I am sadly not counting on that. The lakes might still be an option but again that hinges on how mild it get's and the rain amount.

My goal was to get in 1500 KM's give or take and I did well over that this year. I am sure to many that is not much but I did not live on my sled and I also enjoyed many other Winter sports so my time was divided amongst the other options of Winter. With that goal reached I can now justify a new sled next year.

Cheers!

132_44bf83c4acdbdfce875675d453b6b9c7

Remember that area from a couple of years back...sounds like a nice time. After a few years you can almost tell when the season begins to draw to a close. Had a weasel around my place most of the winter....Sunday as I was heading out saw him slip by and his white coat was starting to turn brown.

a big thanks to the hcsa groomers who look after 4,8, 15 and 16, these trails were excellent condition, i rode out of boshkung several weekends this year and they were always in excellent condition, even groomed most saturday nights, so we could ride sunday, bravo

Their website said that they had all their groomers going each night right thru the March Break and groomed their entire network of trails Sunday evening and the trails are still in good shape. They have done an excellent job this year.

Added another "last ride" in this weekend. Saw the groomers out on trail #! Saturday afternoon! Except for the road running, the trails are really decent! There was the odd spot where the sun had burned through and some rocks here or there, but all in all for this time of year things are amazing. If the cold holds up....there will be another weekend of riding! Sadly, my schedule does not permit another trip to the cottage for at least two weeks so...this weekend was probably my last ride.

I did see one of the most interesting sites this weekend. A car was well stuck on a hill on trail #7 as you come up to Kashagawigamog. Have no idea where he was coming from or trying to go to? It looks like he came off the lake??? Good luck getting that out. Too far in off of any road for a tow...hope he finds somebody with a tractor or 4X4. Even then...that will be a stretch to haul him up a fairly steep grade.

Archived