Prince Edward County Trails...

dweese

Hi Dave

we just bought a place on Big Island last spring, and im looking forward to getting on the trails there, did a bit of running a few weeks ago from Demorestville (ran the road from big Island to get there) the snow melted so the last time i was down i just ran the bay.

looking to get down next w/e, could you suggest a good loop, gas and food along the way? perhaps a place where some locals hang out, i wouldn't mind finding out some local knowledge....

thx

Is there any way for you guys to hop on to Percy Boom River Rats snowmobile club trails. I see they do not connect.

Hi Dave

we just bought a place on Big Island last spring, and im looking forward to getting on the trails there, did a bit of running a few weeks ago from Demorestville (ran the road from big Island to get there) the snow melted so the last time i was down i just ran the bay.

looking to get down next w/e, could you suggest a good loop, gas and food along the way? perhaps a place where some locals hang out, i wouldn't mind finding out some local knowledge....

thx

The only place now to get gas is the No Frils in Picton, they have a trail from the rail bed that runs to the gas bar. Unless you come north to Belleville.

There are 2 main loops, on runs passed Demorestville out below mountain view airport and cuts down to Piction and back up to Demorestville. The other cuts across the Harbour out towards the east where you can cut to Wopoos or take a left back around behind Picton airport in to the area just south of the OPP station.

How to get from Big Island to Demorestville, I'm not sure. The trail map in the Club House does show a trail in the area but I've never gone looking.

Is there any way for you guys to hop on to Percy Boom River Rats snowmobile club trails. I see they do not connect.

No we are land locked, there was a attempt years ago to put a connecting trail in but The City of Quinte West doesn't like sleds, ATVs or anything else that can be considered fun.

thx Dave,

good to know about gas in Picton, when I drive in from TO i always cross the hwy 62 bridge, can see the sled tracks up the ditch to the petro can.

i dug up an old map on the internet showing a trail that runs in to Demorestville partway between North Port and the cosway to Big Island, I did a drive but I couldnt find it. when I did hit the trails I just ran the centre crossroad on the Island, across the cosway, and then ran the shoulder on county road 14 to Demorestville, (no big deal if there is snow on the shoulder) at the town yard there is a little bush trail hooking up to the main trails, i personnally didn't know how to hit the trails until i saw a few trucks and trailers parked in the town yard, while doing a garbage dump run.....needless to say i drove back to my cottage geared up and jumped on the sled.....i ended up south of Fry Lake road....remember this was 3-4 weeks ago i was out alone and the trails had not seen a groomer.....huge drifts in the fields...i got a little taste of the trails in the county...want more now...lol...

you mentioned the clubhouse...When I bought my permit this year I did affiliate myself to prince edward county....is the clubhouse open often? easy to find while coming south from Demorestville... I will prob doing a 4 day w/e down there next w/e....with hopes of hitting the trails...perhaps i will see you out there...

Club house is open 24/7. It's in an area where no one will mess with it. So they leave it unlocked.

It's easy to find, no access by car other than the first Wedesnday of the month for club meetings. But it's at the corner of Hull Rd and Talbot St (cr4) it actually has a sign from the road.

This is a picture of the trail map on the wall of the club house showing the trail that comes close to Big Island. But it looks like its the same amount of road running no matter where you go.

645D63EB-AC1E-498B-AB25-6886454E318C-8166-000006A8D42CB20F.jpg

I'll post up a PDF map of the trails I have put in the GPS map for those with out GPSs on thier sleds.

Yesterday on the way to Toronto I had to stop at Royal to pick up a part to put my Cardo G4 on my new helmet. Well I was at the parts desk, the wife came in after me (she said she was staying in the car) and got me a gift card to cover the parts to rebuild my sled. Wasn't really my plan to get the parts from Royal, but can't spoil her Valentines day gift to me, so parts should be in Monday or Tuesday so hopefully the sled should be back together for the weekend.

if i can find that trail it will actually cut the road run on county road 15, my place is on the NW side of the island (close to the boat launch if you know the island) looks like i can run the Bay and hit the crossroad, i think the marsh at the east end of the island isn't too bad to cross....thx for the map, good luck on getting your sled back out there.....hopefully this rain i woke to in Toronto didnt make it east of Oshawa...I am going to try to make it down this w/e, and do some exploring....Thanks again for all your knowledge Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am one of the few who I guess try to sled in the county. Hailing out of Wellington when I am there looking for snow amongst the green grass. This is the first year in a long time I am able to get out with barely enough snow on the limited trails the last weekend and such. Trailered to Corbyville and hitched onto the trail north from there. It was listed as open but the first few miles after we got up a ways was limited. Hitting gravel and all under a inch or two of slushy snow. I did get much better closer to the E108/E212 split though.

I saw your posts and thought I'd register and get on. The Prince Edward Trail Riders website in my opinion is abandoned. No change since 2009 before I came into the area. You won't get any response from any links on it either. LOL

I do know the president. I found him the very hard way. Getting gas in the county is tough. As you said the NoFrill is the only sure thing west of Picton while there is an Esso further in town and some sled get to it from the lands below. I have no idea from where or how far they come. I prefer name brand gas when possible.

My son and I were sledding out towards Wapoos and turned around as he was running out of gas and I forgot to strap on the gas can I usually take just in case. We never made it and the trails were very slushy limited snow coverage in the plus degrees we end up going out in. The sleds don't like those temperatures but we still go as best we can.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a good run from Corbyville toward Bancroft. It got late so we called it at St Ola Rd (There is gas there at Hwy 62). A sign you stop at the road crossing although not an POI of trail maps!! We head up that way before but got further this time. Best route was this one north to the bridge and climb the steep path on the right (not signed at all). At the top E212 is to the left and E108 to the right. We took E212 to E106. Considering the poor snow this year the trail was very good. Especially north of Madoc area. We saw a few inches of power.

The route under that bridge is obstructed with many crossings and stop signs/road crossings through a developed area. Ok but not great for going somewhere.

That was our last of the season run where we trailered to.

Archived