New sled

skidoo700jay

Just wondering if anyone has done this, looking at the prices, and cannot believe the difference for the exact same sled. ??? Any help or information greatly appreciated

Just wondering if anyone has done this, looking at the prices, and cannot believe the difference for the exact same sled. ??? Any help or information greatly appreciated

- I bought my Apex in North Townawanda at Weaver's.

- They did all the paperwork needed for crossing back, and then I had to soem RIV work (google RIV), have CTC "certify" it, then I was good to go.

- Pretty flawless, and would do it again in a minute.

- Saved almost $1800 when it was all said and done.

- Just a couple things though...

- Don't buy private. It's a hassle and probably not worth it.

- Be sure if warranty (if any) will be covered in Canada.

- Go early, so you can get back across the border. I crossed at Queenston/Lewiston and it was busy when I left.

- Other than that, enjoy!

I had great luck buying private,but if you want new...thats kinda out of the question. :bluerolleyes:

Yamaha was great for the recall letter.If you want a skidoo,I think there are major problems trying to get the recall letter for used,and I think BRP clamped down on the dealers even being allowed to sell you one.

Steve

- I bought my Apex in North Townawanda at Weaver's.

- They did all the paperwork needed for crossing back, and then I had to soem RIV work (google RIV), have CTC "certify" it, then I was good to go.

- Pretty flawless, and would do it again in a minute.

- Saved almost $1800 when it was all said and done.

- Just a couple things though...

- Don't buy private. It's a hassle and probably not worth it.

- Be sure if warranty (if any) will be covered in Canada.

- Go early, so you can get back across the border. I crossed at Queenston/Lewiston and it was busy when I left.

- Other than that, enjoy!

I bought my Nytro private in NY. not a problem came over the peace bridge was a peace of cake. The customs officer was more interested in the sled and what I payed for it than anything else he wanted me too find him one, nice guy.

As far a Skidoo goes there is a charge for the recall letter up to 300 bucks and the U.S. is not suppose to sell you a new sled but if you look around enough and find the right dealer willing to work with you there are ways around it (so I have heard. Good luck.

If you are buying new, be prepared to take it back to the US for warranty work because there is no warranty here in Canada, at least for Ski-Doo and Yamaha. Can't say that AC and Polaris have the same policy, but it wouldn't suprise me. Used is no problem, warranty can be transfered, if it is still in the warranty period. I have imported a few used sleds over the years and it is a walk in the park. Good luck.

If you are buying new, be prepared to take it back to the US for warranty work because there is no warranty here in Canada, at least for Ski-Doo and Yamaha. Can't say that AC and Polaris have the same policy, but it wouldn't suprise me. Used is no problem, warranty can be transfered, if it is still in the warranty period. I have imported a few used sleds over the years and it is a walk in the park. Good luck.

I used to buy sleds from the US all the time, but now I find that the prices on private aren't near as good as they used to be. Strange, with the dollar up so high. Anyway, I was going to buy a new Sea Doo from the states, but found out that the warranty would be voided. not just covered, but voided if I bought in the US and BRP found out about it.

I used to buy sleds from the US all the time, but now I find that the prices on private aren't near as good as they used to be. Strange, with the dollar up so high. Anyway, I was going to buy a new Sea Doo from the states, but found out that the warranty would be voided. not just covered, but voided if I bought in the US and BRP found out about it.

arctic Cat is about the same,,,,, :icon_doh:

arctic Cat is about the same,,,,, :icon_doh:

I believe its also because the Dealers say "screw you, why would I service your sled " if you bought it over there.

I bought my old Sabercat in Michigan, used, with no issues. Arctic cat Canada faxed me the recall letter, free, no issues.

My Last two I bought here, they were both new, spring orders and at the time the price difference wasnt worth it and my dealer has been pretty good to me. You still pay tax at the border and licence office, plus $250 RIV fee. So I figure add up your time, warranty issues, etc and it better be at least $2000 +/- min. to make it worth my while and that wasnt the case a the time, YMMV. They did have some smokin deals on left overs.

My local Michigan Cat/Doo dealer will do it all for you as well and deliver it to the border as well, but only a Cat. He wont even discuss selling you a Doo as BRP has threatened in the past to pull dealerships if the sell cross border.

So yes there are deals to be had. Living in a border town I buy a ton of stuff over there for my sleds, bikes etc. just make sure you add all the fees, taxes, your time, border crossing, warranty hassles etc. etc. to that initial low sticker price you see before you make up your mind.

Cheers, Todd

Archived