Fishog lk to Head lk.

ravinerat

Does anyone remember the old Haliburton trails that were West of Moore's Falls. The bottom lake was Fishog and it went into Head lk on Hwy 503 just past Seibright. Does anyone remember where the trail left Fishog and went on to Head lk. I know some of the signs are still up in that area but I was trying to find it canoeing this summer and couldn't. Did it just follow the protage where the water falls are. I understand there is a spring there and the ice doesn't form safe.

RR

Does anyone remember the old Haliburton trails that were West of Moore's Falls. The bottom lake was Fishog and it went into Head lk on Hwy 503 just past Seibright. Does anyone remember where the trail left Fishog and went on to Head lk. I know some of the signs are still up in that area but I was trying to find it canoeing this summer and couldn't. Did it just follow the protage where the water falls are. I understand there is a spring there and the ice doesn't form safe.

RR

friend owned fly in fish camp on red boat..built in winter months...pretty sure we went to north shore rd & trail was easier to find. then off lake...there is open water...10 yrs ago the trails were still marked with white round markers with arrows

This is trail 2. It runs across Head lake, and Fishog, around Scrabble Mountain, Anson Mountain..all west of the Moores Falls area. Currently it is "CLOSED" in the Winter. The HCSA is working towards re-opening this trail but after some packing last year it was deemed that there was too much water to open properly, The trail needs extensive work, and with two declining years of lower permit sales it can not be done this season.

However..to try to answer your question. The trail actually does not leave Fishog and go directly towards Head lake. It leaves Fishog at the NNW corner of the lake where the lake narrows.. and heads NNW towards an apex where the "loop" of Trail 2 meets.Then you would head SW down to Head Lk. Running down Head Lk the HCSA system meets the Cardin Sytem out in the middle of the lake by Hwy 45

It's used extensivly by ATV's in the Summer so, there should not be too much growth on the trails. The exit off Fishog might be a little overgrown by now, so that part might be tricky. As mentioned it actually exits in the narrows in the NNW corner, not SW as one might think heading in a straight line for Head Lk.

FYI Fishog Lies on the outer loop of the Anson/Scrabble mountain system of Trail 2, on the lower end towards Norland.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for the response fellows. It's a big help Fred. I was through the area fishing last year. Beautiful area to explore and camp. I did see an old trail on the NNW side but as you said I figured the trail would exit the south end to do the jump over into Head. This was by canoe this summer. So if the trail goes N then hits " the apex of a loop" how does it get back down to Head lake. I know I found a dead tree wtih three signs on it indicating direction to fishog but I can't remember the other lakes. Would this all be too far a walk/snowshoe in to Fishog? I'll be on the sled most times but want to snowshoe in one time. I was originally thinking of heading up Head Lake and over into Fishog but the ice on the little river isn't stable most years.

RR

Thanks for the response fellows. It's a big help Fred. I was through the area fishing last year. Beautiful area to explore and camp. I did see an old trail on the NNW side but as you said I figured the trail would exit the south end to do the jump over into Head. This was by canoe this summer. So if the trail goes N then hits " the apex of a loop" how does it get back down to Head lake. I know I found a dead tree wtih three signs on it indicating direction to fishog but I can't remember the other lakes. Would this all be too far a walk/snowshoe in to Fishog? I'll be on the sled most times but want to snowshoe in one time. I was originally thinking of heading up Head Lake and over into Fishog but the ice on the little river isn't stable most years.

RR

It's deceiving. The trail on the NNW side is the true snowmobile trail off of Fishog. It runs a couple Km's to the "apex" of the loop and then back tracks down towards Head Lk. If the snow is deep it would be a pretty hefty trek in snowshoes. There won't be too much action in there over the Winter. Where Fishog is is the bottom of a big "loop" of a trail that circles Scrabble and Anson Mountain. Then, comes out and veers down to Head Lk. I will see if I can find you a crude map of the area.

Here is a section of our club map. You will notice the trail (2) exits Fishog in the NNW corner and migrates away from Head lake, then meets and apex and swings back down to Head lake. It's out in the middle of Head Lk, where the HCSA trails meet the Cardin System.

post-19777-0-79433400-1352167988_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for the help Fred. So what I am really trying to find is where the trail comes out on to Head Lake. I see by your map it kind fo comes out in the centre top of Head lk. I have been down from Victoria, Smudge and a few other lakes to the top of Fishog. I may have even been at the Apex before as I remember a few signs on a dead tree for Fishog, Head and can't quite remember the other one. Think I have a pic of it. Again thanks for all your information.

RR

Archived