Glencoe to St. Thomas

swo-man

Ya, I know what you're saying. Hopefully, they'll have a nice long season this year to reward their efforts.

I should have been more specific in my orginal post. I'm wondering about the trail south of highway 2 to Dutton where the Glencoe and St. Thomas trails meet.

Well, yesterday we made the long trip from Port Burwell to Strathroy, via Dutton. Trails were in excellent shape with great coverage. The trip to dutton through the St Thomas area was great and the railbed was in surprisingly good shape. My only complaint was the trip from Chalmers Rd north in the glencoe area, the road section was HUGE. It seem to take forever, although for the most part you could ride in the ditch or in the fields. If we had any less snow it would be a carbide killer. Once north of the road section the glencoe trails were great and groomed to perfection. pretty well all the way from glencoe to strathroy the trails were perfect. We turned around in Strathroy at 4pm and made it back home around 7:30pm. It was a long enjoyable day. 370KM total from home. Thanks to the Aylmer, St Thomas, Glencoe and Strathroy clubs for great trails, we didnt really come across any bad sections of trail, well marked and groomed great.

Mark

Thanks for the update Mark. This new snow should help. I'm planning doing a loop from Strathroy to Glencoe through St. Thomas, Aylmer up through Woodstock and back through St. Marys to Strathroy. Never sledded down by lake erie so I want to do it while they have all this snow.

Swo-man

We plan on going Friday. A guy over on hardcore sledder that did a similiar route over 2 days but didn't take the most direct route. His did 450 miles so I'm figuring around 300 miles. How far was it from Port Burwell to Strathroy?

Do you know if there's a good place to eat in Turkey Point that is accessible by sled?

Turkey Point hotel should be open at the beach front. Follow the trail down to the beach road and the hotel is on your right hand side.

That ride would be a very long one strathroy via Lake Erie area- Turkey Point back to Strathroy. You would have to ride from Turkey point up to Norwich and then make your way up to St Mary's over to Lucan then catch the trail to Strathroy. It would be at least 300 miles. Trails are not like St Mary's area north, lots of road crossings and twisting trails, few straight aways like Strathroy area trails so start early and give yourself the day for sure. Did Turkey Point to Mount Forest one year and it was 10 hours of steady riding with one stop for lunch and the trails were in good shape with no 50kph riding either.

Have fun wish I could go with you.

Mark, where did you stop for fuel along the way?

300 miles in one day is a marathon ride and I don't think you'd be obeying the speed limit either. I have actually done 300 miles in one day before way up north on fast open trails and it is a longer day than you would think it would be and ride safely.

Headed out from the clubhouse in kerwood towards glencoe tonight. First time the winter has been good enough for me to go down those trails in my time snowmobiling. I made it almost to glencoe but turned around at a closed trail sign that some idiots had blown through (ripped red tape). Apparently I could have continued down a side road and got onto the trail again, but it was night time and i didn't feel like going face first into a culvert (didnt know the area)

Very impressed by these trails. Hopefully Joe Bastardi from accuweather.com is correct and that we will see cooler weather in the next 30 years and I can do some more exploring of these trails!

Went back to the clubhouse to listen to a bunch of dudes brag about their drinkin/sledding stories. Morons...

Headed out from the clubhouse in kerwood towards glencoe tonight. First time the winter has been good enough for me to go down those trails in my time snowmobiling. I made it almost to glencoe but turned around at a closed trail sign that some idiots had blown through (ripped red tape). Apparently I could have continued down a side road and got onto the trail again, but it was night time and i didn't feel like going face first into a culvert (didnt know the area)

Very impressed by these trails. Hopefully Joe Bastardi from accuweather.com is correct and that we will see cooler weather in the next 30 years and I can do some more exploring of these trails!

Went back to the clubhouse to listen to a bunch of dudes brag about their drinkin/sledding stories. Morons...

ya you could have continued down the road & around the corner and the trail pick's back up again. it's not bad at all. i think they have that section closed off due to logging. there's always some bone head that feels the need to break through the tape. i take my hat off to these guys for all there hard work! trails are in great shape!

We left home full and rode 100KM to Dutton and filled up. Rode to Strathroy and filled up again, we could have probably made it back to Dutton again, but it was late in the day and thought we better be safe than sorry. We fill up the last time in Dutton again. I suppose you could fill in Glencoe it appears to be close to the trail.

Mark

You guys had me concerned but we decided to give it a go anyways and we were able to do the loop. It took us 12 hours and our total distance was 509 km. We left Strathroy on Friday morning at 8:30 with gas stops in Fingal (11:15 AM), Langton (2 PM) and St. Marys (6PM).

The weather was almost perfect with a lot of fresh snow on the trails. The fresh snow also helped with the road running as there are quite few places where the trail uses road bridges. Overall the trails were great and anyone who thinks southern Ontario doesn’t have any hills needs check the St. Thomas and Aylmer trails along Lake Erie. Awesome trails and at times you’d swear you were up north.

The trail from highway 2 to Dutton is now staked. The only part that might be confusing is when you are south of highway 2 heading towards Dutton. Where the trail comes to highway 76 and there is no sign or arrow (unless I missed it). Anyways, turn right and follow the road across the bridge and you will see the trail on your left immediately after you cross the bridge.

A long but very enjoyable trip. We didn’t get to Turkey Point so I guess we’ll have to do it again!

Swo-man

Sorry, been offline for a few days. We stopped for lunch, no supper break though. We eventually ended up at the Swiss Chalet at the east end of Tillsonburg. We also made a short stop at the St. Marys club house.

Looks like we were lucky to do it when we did, pretty sad now.

Archived