D5 Trail from home OPEN

wannago

Well that's a first, the trail that is just down the road from us and we could jump on riding from home is marked yellow today on the OFSC map!  We brought the sleds home from up north so we may just have to try it out.  Been many years since we have been able to ride that close to home.  Of course all this will depend on some more red turning yellow or green or we will have no place to ride to!

Avon Calling?

I am 400 feet off the rail line east of Tillsonburg, went for a quick trip around the block, trails are a little thin in the fields in places, buddy says they got a bit more snow around Langton. Have not seen a sled go by since Sunday before trails went yellow.

My buddy was dropping off his Rev at Lockhart's in Courtland for service. Told me there is lots of snow around there. We are probably going to run Burford to Turkey Point and loop back Saturday. Gotta get the riding close to home in when we can.

Let us know what conditions are like.

gromer just went by on rail line headed west,

Giddy Up!!!

seen the groomer go each way on the rail line today, after work jumped on rail line headed east to 385, from there thru courtland to warm up shack by Langton, fields were pretty thin in places, wind blowing drifts in other places. headed back toward Tillsonburg, met 4 sleds that were doing their best to tear up every corner, road crossing , took the 5-88 and across 248 to 390, found a fresh groomer track and followed it out the 5-54, passed the groomer on Derham line,went as far as  Colloden line before turning back, fields were pretty rough and bare, back tracked the groomer track a ways then went up thru Springford towards Norwich before heading south on 5, think the OPP sitting at the road crossing was happy someone came by to talk to, cause I never seen another sled or new tracks on the groomer track north of #3 highway, quite a bit of drifting in the open but otherwise ridable. Kudos to the groomers who are doing a fantastic job with what little they have to work with. If the snow shows on Saturday, can't do anything but help. 

Well we left home yesterday and rode to St. Mary's was about a hundred mile round trip. Left around 2pm in heavy snow, roads not yet plowed so the mile or so to the trails was good. I was amazed at how good the trails were, a little thin in places from our start area to Thamesford but from there north the trails were really good.

Stopped at the Stone Willow Inn in St. Mary's for an early dinner. Food was fantastic, highly recommend it. Still snowing really heavy when we left, trails even better headed home. At least until we were nearing Putnam. Snow has now changed to rain and the roads have all been plowed so any road riding was nasty, ditch banged where we could. All in all a fantastic day of riding with no trailering. Hats off to the clubs that work so hard to have trails ready to open that May never open. Have to say I was impressed and the signage was really good!

Big shoutout to the Thamesford and Science Hill clubs. All the work of the volunteers is really appreciated.  Give 'em some product to work with and they work their magic!!  

Did a 300 km ride through Putnam, Thamesford, Ilderton, Lucan, St. Marys.  The new Bryanston trail (#5-31) is a godsend.  It opens up so many route options - kudos to the clubs and landowners!!!

Left the stupid trailer home and launched right from the backyard shed - a first-ever experience!!  Not too many chances to get conditions where roadrunning & ditchbanging was better than "limited" trails from previous years.  Trails matched stuff up north, saved me the 4+ hrs driving and $125+ fuel just to get there, and nobody tried to snocross over us when we're trying to enjoy a day of sledding - no trophy required for our outings!!!!

Better make the trip to the most southermost trail in Ontario (aka Turkey Point).  As we all know in D5, you gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

We rode from home again today, another ride from Avon to St. Mary's for lunch. Trails were spectacular the clubs are sure working there magic down here. Thamesford trails were the best of the best! So nice to ride from home and as Cougarguy said sure beats that 4 hour drive north for the weekend! We are heading up north next weekend for the week but will bring the sleds home again in hopes that we have riding down here right into March!

Archived