RAP Tour

b-bry

OK, I know it's a bit early to start planning next season's rides, but maybe someone on the forum rode the RAP this season & it's still fresh in mind. We're planning this ride for next season with a small group.

As I understand, it's about 600 miles and should take about 4 days. I'd like to hear comments on accommodations and where to drop & park. We'd be starting near the Hwy 11 side of the loop.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can start and park at edgewater resort in Kearny. They will let you leave trailer for a week. Great spot to start and finish from, located on on club trail al302 and top d is a few kms away. I would go clock wise if you start here. Kearny to bonifield and stay at dinner bell. Great family run place. 225kms one way. Bonifield to pembroke or pettawa depending how you ride. Last night in hailburton pinestone is good, but fairly expensive. There are lots of lodges in area if you do you research. One is Kennis lake lodge near hailburton forest. If the lakes rare frozen you could cut across to tall pines and CPU tube to Dorset that way. Great place to stay.

Mattawa Golf and Country Club is a great place to stay.

• 4 months later...

i am thinkin of doing it in feb 2013. my thought is start in northbay on wednesday kerney thursday whitney friday stonecliff saturday back to northbay on saturday night this is about even as i can figure the days mileage wise i am thinkin trails south of northbay should be groomed and better by weds and trails across north side will still be good on saturday. anyone have another thought?

For the Barry's Bay area, Spectacle Lake Lodge is a short link off TOP B. Barry's Bay is accessible dropping off TOP B near north of Golden Lake. In the past we've stayed @ the Pinewood & Ash Grove motels.

There are a few spots in Whitney for lodging too. I've never stayed overnight there though.

i am thinkin of doing it in feb 2013. my thought is start in northbay on wednesday kerney thursday whitney friday stonecliff saturday back to northbay on saturday night this is about even as i can figure the days mileage wise i am thinkin trails south of northbay should be groomed and better by weds and trails across north side will still be good on saturday. anyone have another thought?

Good thinking. stay away from Dorset and area on Saturday

I've rode the RAP many times with many different types of groups. Done it in 2 1/2 days upwards to 4, about 800k around. I'd ride the south/west sides mid-week if possible, weekend conditions are normally not a problem on the north & east sides. Late Jan to mid- February is usually best for snow & trail connections all the way around. Approuching my 15th year going around and have only been skunked once back in 04.

i am thinkin of doing it in feb 2013. my thought is start in northbay on wednesday kerney thursday whitney friday stonecliff saturday back to northbay on saturday night this is about

even as i can figure the days mileage wise i am

thinkin trails south of northbay should be

groomed and better by weds and trails across

north side will still be good on saturday. anyone

have another thought?

Just beware alot of places have to night minium stays on Friday and Saturday night now. It is getting harder and harder to stay one night on a weekend. I am planning to go around too, starting at the end of Jan as soon as the lakes are ready.

well keep in touch on when your going thinkin we have 4 in our group

I've rode the RAP many times with many different types of groups. Done it in 2 1/2 days upwards to 4, about 800k around. I'd ride the south/west sides mid-week if possible, weekend conditions are normally not a problem on the north & east sides. Late Jan to mid- February is usually best for snow & trail connections all the way around. Approuching my 15th year going around and have only been skunked once back in 04.

Now that's re-assuring!

Thanks for the info everyone. It's a trip I'd like to do this year as well.

Now that's re-assuring!

Thanks for the info everyone. It's a trip I'd like to

do this year as well.

Maybe we can do an official ocer ride around the park at the end of Jan. From hailburton to northbay is usually ready sooner then the northbay south route.

I did 1 & a half RAP tours in the 90s (don't ask). One thing we noticed in '96 (the successful trip) was because we were travelling clockwise, the visibility when we departed Mattawa was terrible for a big portion of the morning. It was around -40* & sunny (you're travelling due east). There was a lot of snow dust that just hung in the air & the sun reflects off of it. Has anyone had this issue in their RAP trips or was it just our bad luck?

Maybe we can do an official ocer ride around the park at the end of Jan. From hailburton to northbay is usually ready sooner then the northbay south route.

I'll bet that's a route many of us would like to do.

Good idea. Haliburton seems to have snow that sticks in January and is a good place to start.

Just beware alot of places have to night minium stays on Friday and Saturday night now. It is getting harder and harder to stay one night on a weekend. I am planning to go around too, starting at the end of Jan as soon as the lakes are ready.

Minimum Stays in the winter is just not good business.

We did the RAP tour last winter,left Pinestone resort on a Wed and the trails were beaten too Kearney .The rest was perfectly groomed as in my avatar until me got to Whitney on Sat and they were beaten again to Pinestone.We will still do the Rap again this season the same as last , bumpy or not it's a great tour!

apexman where did you stay on your tour? worth staying a second time? any info would be great on route costs or anything else you think of.

You can leave your trailer and tow vehicle at Pinestone Resort in Haliburton for free - just tell them its there and you don't have to stay there overnight either. Parking lot secure in full view of entrance. Lunch at Fire House on Kushog Lake. Stayed at the Edgewater on Sand lake $89 near the ice caves (will check them out this year because last year we got there late because the trails were slow and had not been groomed in a while) We liked this place - modest rooms no tv in the room but the food was good with friendly people. Premium fuel at $1.50/lt. Next stop for lunch and gas was in Powassan. Had to go downtown for gas and beer and check out the people picking up butts from in front of the Legion. Stayed in Mattawa at Valois Motel and Restaurant $110 and we were only 50' from the Mattawa river ( Its called Holden Lake) with the sleds in front of the room (ask for a room on the river - a must) Good food and gas down the street, we will stay there again. We had lunch and gas in Deux River forgot the name of the joint but it was good.Then we ended up in Pembroke at the Colonial Inn $79 you get what you pay for here ,super small and old but it was clean.The next time we will stay at the Best Western with the gas station across the road and restaurants close.The Best Western is out of the way( road running )of the RAP tour but is maybe worth the ride.If anyone know or a nice place in the north end I would like to try some place closer to the RAP route. Look for a pair of Apexes when you go around.We look forward to doing it again this time a little more exploring.One thing we will have is a thermos for a morning coffee because the coffee shops are few and far on the trail.

Pinestone normally charges 10 bucks to park per day. It Is a good spot to start from. You can start at haulburton forest and wildlife as well. I like to take lake routes as much as possible. Sure beats riding the b trail all the way and I can usually shave off an hour of time. Was the d trail ok through trout creek. Last time I for lost there. Trail stopped at north end of town. Had to run roads for 17 km to get back on the d south of throut creek.

Wouldn't mind running some of the lakes as well.

I recall at last year's show, someone visiting a club booth (it had a huge RAP sign) was pointing to a large map and saying 'take this lake if the trail is bad'; take that lake, etc.

Those of you who know the trails and/or lake bypasses in that area are very fortunate.

lmao i am trying how to make it longer not shorter that helps alot apex how long were your days? my thoughts are start in northbay and go counter clockwise any one else know good places to stay?

Pinestone normally charges 10 bucks to park per day. It Is a good spot to start from. You can start at haulburton forest and wildlife as well. I like to take lake routes as much as possible. Sure beats riding the b trail all the way and I can usually shave off an hour of time. Was the d trail ok through trout creek. Last time I for lost there. Trail stopped at north end of town. Had to run roads for 17 km to get back on the d south of throut creek.

Pinestone didn't say they wanted any money when I called and when I checked in to tell them when I would be back from ridding.I read that on this site last year and that is why I went there to drop.The B sucked and I would like to know some of the alternate routes by lakes.Trail D was good around Trout Creek.

I've kept a file on RAP and just pulled out an older map called RAP Tour - it's perfect.

22 inches wide by 16 inches. One side is a map of the loop and the other has advertisers (lodging, repairs and food).

They provide information for the Districts - 6, 7 and 11.

A close approximation of this map is http://www.nnta.ca/images/RAPMAP.pdf (except I'm not sure that this accurately reflects the area to the east of Powassan --- my older map shows 'proposed new trail', but this digital map doesn't have it. Was it built?).

You can click on the OFSC website to contact the Districts or try this:

Snow Country (District 6) - http://www.snowcountryscsa.ca/

MSR (part of District 7) - http://www.msrsnowtrails.com/

Near North (District 11) - http://www.nnta.ca/ ----- the link inside Near north is particularly good for RAP -- http://www.nnta.ca/ride-the-rap.html [ Edit: This RAP link is referenced in a sep. thread called "Paper Maps" as well]

(Get the RAP Paper Guide at the fall sled show - it will save you time in planning the trip)

well got my maps and dove right in. so here is my next question. i am trying to figure how far to plan on per day riding in barrys bay last year the trails were so twisty i couldnt average 50kmph to save my life (maybe just too old) but i am thinking pembroke to northbay will be fairley fast trails. who knows whats sections will take alot of extra time dont want to plan 200 kms and be there by noon

Pembroke to northbay is about 252 kms door to door. I try to stay at the dinner bell, since it is right on top A trail. If the pipeline is rough it will be a long day. Gas is getting more limited on the north east and south east side of the park. For instance no fuel in wilberforce anymore. If you are heading that way over to barry's bay. It

will be tough. Alot of stations have closed in

various small towns. So plan accordingly. I carry a siphon and 2

gallons of fuel just in case. Some places can run

out of gas too, if there is alot of traffic. So don't

wait until the last second to find it. Gas can be

an issue along top d trail as well, since the trail

no longer follows highway 11. It is hard on the older machines, since 100 miles will be your top range.

Archived