Sudbury - Moonlight Inn and Suites - on the trail

slomo

edit - additional information added below.

The Moonlight Inn is well located to accessing the Sudbury Trail System in the area of Coniston, Garson and Falconbridge and moving out from there.

post-19713-0-86085500-1330386185_thumb.j

While its address is given as being on Moonlight Drive, it is side by side with the Chateau Guay, another motel which was recommended by Sledjunk on one of his travels to the area. The major difference between the two is that the Chateau Guay has a licensed restaurant, while the Moonlight Inn does not.

post-19713-0-48621700-1330383634_thumb.j

You can access information about the motel room offerings and services here:

http://www.moonlightinn.ca/

While I just needed a place to camp out while trying out the Sudbury trails, I found a single room to be quite small, particularly with the amount of gear a sledder needs. Doubles and kitchenettes are available and would certainly be a better choice if you wanted more room or there was more than one person. The motel has recently undergone some surface repairs, but there are still a few rough edges and lack of modern wiring. Heat in the room was fine as was the hot water supply. Wifi worked really well. Small fridge and microwave came in handy for my needs, as did cable TV supplied.

Plenty of parking in the lot for vehicles and you can easily park your sled outside your door. (on a ground floor room) One thing to beware of is their 48 hour cancellation policy. The Chateau Guay will allow you to cancel if there is no snow or trails are closed. (according to an email)

post-19713-0-37916400-1330383117_thumb.j

As far as services go, other than going to the restaurant at the motel next door, it is a pretty long hike to the Tim Hortons about a major block away to the west, and you're looking at using a vehicle to access a wide variety of restaurants located maybe five minutes away by continuing on Kingsway, down Falconbridge Rd. or driving down Barrydowne Rd. (marked by red lines on trail map above) Gas for your vehicle is also available here.

There are no sled accessible gas stations in the immediate area - the closest being in Coniston, a few kilometers away- the location of which is indicated on the district 12 trail map.

The owners and the front desk are pretty sled friendly - the girl at check in had a pretty good idea of trail conditions by talking to those who had been out and was able to pass on info.

The access trail from the motel was in good shape when I began in the morning -

post-19713-0-65128600-1330383147_thumb.j

but was pretty worn in the afternoon. If you find the trail really bumpy, it usually is better by this point-

post-19713-0-74799400-1330383161_thumb.j

As I plan to return to this area for a longer sledding stay,which will probably feature other activities as well, have discovered that there isn't a lot of accomodation that allows direct access to the trails. Was appalled to see the Sportsman's Lodge website advertising $100.00 per night(or more) PER PERSON?? for their lodgings - and meals on top of that. Might be time to have a look at the Windy Lake Motel, Pine Falls Lodge, or somewhere outside the STP system but accessible to it.

But for this trip, the Moonlight Inn was okay.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sportsmans has meels included

The sportsmans inn was great last time I stayed there. George has fixed up the place quite nicely. A great place to stay is elk lake Eco lodge, shhhhhhhh government run so nor much advertising. If I am going with a female, it is a great place to go.

• 10 months later...

Just to add to the above information......this time staying here, booked one of the kitchenette units...has the advantage of two rooms - so one person can snore away while the other one gets up early without disturbing each other. Has a little sink, burners, microware, good sized fridge and large windows for good view outside.

Wireless internet good and fast, lots of hot water and heat, two televisions (!) no squabbles over the remote!

Only an additional $10 per night, less than that actually due to sledders discount.

post-19713-0-49188900-1359888784_thumb.j

post-19713-0-13729000-1359888796_thumb.j

post-19713-0-32867000-1359888772_thumb.j

Moonlight Inn and Suites is a map advertiser for the STP.

Thanks slomo. How many k's on your sled now? Wish I had more time to ride. Love the reports.

...has the advantage of two rooms - so one person can snore away while the other one gets up early without disturbing each other.

:coffeespit:

That one will cost you dearly on Valentine's Day.

snapback.pngslomo, on 03 February 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

..."has the advantage of two rooms - so one person can snore away while the other one gets up early without disturbing each other."

:coffeespit:

That one will cost you dearly on Valentine's Day.

More humane than where the snorer got muffled last year on Family Day weekend! Small kitchen upstairs over 'sleeping compartment' - "I going to roll this bed under.....just pretend you're sleeping on a train..."

post-19713-0-68521200-1360106265_thumb.j

Thanks slomo. How many k's on your sled now?

Forget exactly, but over 2000 kms. The sled is becoming the best engineered piece of machinery I have ever owned or maybe tied with my computerized fishing reel.

Wish I had more time to ride. Love the reports.

You should take a few pictures of your rides VR 700! Would be good to see.

Forget exactly, but over 2000 kms. The sled is becoming the best engineered piece of machinery I have ever owned or maybe tied with my computerized fishing reel.

You should take a few pictures of your rides VR 700! Would be good to see.

Don't hold your breath!

Archived