2012 Northern Blastoff

revrnd

Well there are 4 more sleeps until we head out to Gowganda for our annual Northern Blastoff.

Sun': Gowganda - Cochrane (staying @ Lillabelle) 188 miles

Mon': Cochrane - Hearst (staying @ the Companion) 173 miles

Tues': Hearst - Dubreuilville (staying @ DFP apts) 181 miles

Weds': Dubreuilville - Wawa (staying @ Wawa Motor Inn) 121 miles including side trails

Thu': Wawa - Chapleau (staying @ Valentines') 147 miles

Fri': Chapleau - Timmins (staying @ Cedar Meadows) 162 miles

Sat': Timmins - Gowganda via Shining Tree (staying @ Gowganda Lake Lodge) 168 miles

This will be the 1st time we've stayed in D'ville, even though we've passed thru on previous trips. I've ridden C101F in the past, but this will be the 1st time for 30cal4me & the S-I-L.

Have fun Rev we were in Gow. a week ago the trails were awsome , weather this weekend up there looks good for you guys , Say hi to Ron and Giselle from the Muskoka Boys

depending on where we end up riding we may cross paths in dub or wawa weds/thursday. look for the white M8 with clown clothes. LOL! ski

revrnd

get up here and enjoy the trails

have a great trip

zrtkat & crew

Ski', we've got 2 black & yellow REVs, a black GSX REV & a 40th Ann' Apex.

post-19781-0-98009700-1329271788_thumb.jpg

Lodgings @ Tata Chika Pika north of Gogama

Revrnd - nice trip and nice picture, that's Tatachikapita isn't it?

Looking forward to your report, especially your last day. We are starting and stopping from Gowganda Lake Lodge as well and our last day riding is also from Timmins (Cedar Meadows) to Gowganda. Hadn't decided on the route yet since L143 and A107C are closed. May come down A and then westward so we can ride L136 into Gowganda.

Yes, that is TCP. We had heard mixed reports about it, but enjoyed our night there. Food was good & the rooms were nice.

The next morning was a PITA, because the Apex wouldn't start. Not sure what the temp was, but it was cold. We had to tear a bunch of panels off of it so we could get a heat gun pointed @ the relay (fuel pump?) near the foot rest before it would start.

On our 1st day, we're heading east on A107C to Elk Lake since it's been open & groomed more than L136 which I think is just opening up this week.

Sounds like a great trip. Trails are excellent, quite a few people out this weekend. The most I have seen in a few years. Went to ernies and he had three or four groups while we were there, and the Bristol in wawa looked to have quite a few sleds there. On the way home we passed nine trucks and trailers headed North on 17 almost looked like the old days maybe due to little snow down south

Revrnd - nice trip and nice picture, that's Tatachikapita isn't it? Looking forward to your report, especially your last day. We are starting and stopping from Gowganda Lake Lodge as well and our last day riding is also from Timmins (Cedar Meadows) to Gowganda. Hadn't decided on the route yet since L143 and A107C are closed. May come down A and then westward so we can ride L136 into Gowganda.

I am with Revrnd(brother) and we also looked at coming east out of Timmins using A111C to A, then south to Gowganda. They have lost a chunk of the A111C east of Timmins due to land permission. The 2 choices to get around it are: (1) go north on the C trail to the L25 trail, take L25 to the L23, east on L23 to the A111C or (2) go west/south on the C trail to the L22, then take L22 east to the A111C. I have read where the L22 is now actually signed as being the A111C so that's what you would look for heading south on the C trail.

depending on where we end up riding we may cross paths in dub or wawa weds/thursday. look for the white M8 with clown clothes. LOL! ski

(PJ's)

My wife & I are heading up this weekend with another couple. We are leaving from Ceadar Meadows on Sunday morning Feb. 18 . Heading for Chapleau (Romantic Loop )will return on Friday Feb. 24, I beleive thats when your group will be there. I hope the weather pans out, the temperatures that the Weather Channel are forcasting are to warm for what I like to ride in !

We've been up there when the highs are near the -30 mark, so I'm not going to complain if it's just below the freezing mark.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0692

Yes, that is TCP. We had heard mixed reports about it, but enjoyed our night there. Food was good & the rooms were nice.

The next morning was a PITA, because the Apex wouldn't start. Not sure what the temp was, but it was cold. We had to tear a bunch of panels off of it so we could get a heat gun pointed @ the relay (fuel pump?) near the foot rest before it would start.

It was damn cold when we were there in '08 !

EA2008143.jpg

EA2008144.jpg

On our 1st day, we're heading east on A107C to Elk Lake since it's been open & groomed more than L136 which I think is just opening up this week.

L136 is now green !!!!! :)

Sounds like a great trip. Stay safe. If you read this before you leave, I recommend the Best Northern in Wawa. Not quite as busy as the Motor Inn, but it is very nice and the food is good.

The resteraunt in the motor inn is now being run by the same family that runs another resteraunt down 17 a few miles.

ate there last fall and if the food is half as good it will be fantastic.

The resteraunt in the motor inn is now being run by the same family that runs another resteraunt down 17 a few miles.

ate there last fall and if the food is half as good it will be fantastic.

I never ate this year @ the Motor Inn this year (on the highway to Chapleau), but the S-I-L & my buddy were not impressed w/ the meal & service. I don't think it was that busy.

Well, we're back home this afternoon. I guess you could call this the "2012 If It Can Go Wrong, It Will Tour"

From Gowganda to Hornepayne things wen't fine other than a couple of slightly damaged idlers that I got replacements for in Hearst & was planning to replace when possible.

We had lunch @ Kayla's in Hornepayne & had a good meal. We had a good run down D108A considering the D'ville groomer had broken down (flat tire) near the warm up shelter & just started on it's way "home". A few miles south of the CPR crossing on the road, the S-I-L's MXZ (REV chassis) burned up its jackshaft bearing. Using my brother's sled we towed it about 5 miles into town. I got to Big Reg's shop & told him of our problem. I said if he didn't have parts, would he know of someone that could haul it & 30cal4me to the 'doo dealer in Timmins. He checked & didn't have the parts but was able to line us up w/ a chap that could haul the sled.

We had dinner @ Le Sports Bar & crashed. There was a bit of snow overnight.

The next morning we loaded the sled & bro was on his way. We fired up our sleds around 8:30 AM & headed out on TOP D/F. About 6 miles out of town, I stopped, so we could put our Quick Tints as it had become very sunny. I restart my sled, it goes about a hindred feet & quits. I try to start it & the 1 relay starts to buzz (just like the previous incident). I tried new relays & no start. We to w the sled back to Reg's & get it into the warm & use a heat gun to warm up things. I checked the fuses & all were OK, Reg checked the battery & it showed 12.6V. I tried to start it & nothing. After a few more minutes of it sitting, I tried a 3rd time & it fired up.

I gave Reg a donation for "entertainment purposes" that he grudgingly accepted . Note to Luc, "I told him to split it w/ you" LOL.

We helmeted up & away we went. The ride was fine other than 4 azzhats that had ridden up from Wawa & were all over the trail. I met them just east of the D'ville rail crossing & the 2nd sled was on my side of the trail as he came around the corner. W/ the fresh snow the night before I should've been riding in virgin snow, but for the most part, their tracks were on my side of the trail, especially on LHers (for them).

It snowed hard @ times, so we were taking our time. After we crossed Hawk Lake, it started to snow even harder. Just before we got to the "gnarly" section between Hawk & Wawa lakes, the idiot lights on my speedo gauge light up like a Christmas tree & the sled quits w/o a sound.

I try to restart it & nothing. I don't recall if the relay was buzzing, but I checked the fuses & they were OK. I removed the relays & reinstalled them. I loosened the belt & the motor turned over easily by hand. I removed the plugs & they looked lighter that I would like, but they were new before the trip. I checked the piston top w/ a screw driver & there didn't appear to be a hole in either piston. I reinstalled the plugs & pushed the Start button & the :argh: thing started. The motor didn't sound any different than normal & was running on both cylinders.

We got into Wawa & gassed up. We checked in to the Motor Inn around noon. S-I-L & my buddy went for lunch. Since I'd hardly gotten any sleep (my buddy snores :rolleyes: ) & the issues that morning, I just had a nap. I got a call from 30cal4me & he told me that he'd gotten into the Travelodge in Timmins. I told him about my issues & said I was pretty much going to pull the plug on going any further. He agreed w/ that as from Wawa to Chapleau was a bad stretch to have a sled go down.

I called Jonesy asking if he knew of any guys that could "taxi" me to Timmins. He didn't but suggested I contact the GM dealer that had a couple of rollbacks @ their disposal. S-I-L & my buddy returned from lunch & I told them about my decision of not wanting to continue the trip. They didn't have a problem since the sled was acting up.

I walked to Mission Motors & the drivers were out, but I could wait. They said 1 of them was making a trip to Chapleau, but their was a Equinox or Traverse on the truck. They were able to contact him by phone. He said he was also hauling a trailer load of tires to Chapleau & if the sled fit on the trailer, he could take me to Chapleau.

He rolled in around 5 PM, I told him the sled would fit & that I was @ the Motor Inn. He said he had to drop the F150 off, load a car on & hook up the trailer. I headed back to the Inn & waited for Ghislain to pick me up Checking the TATA map, I called & got a room @ the Aux Trois Moulins, telling them I had no idea when I'd be arriving but it would be later in the evening. Ghislain arrived, we loaded up & we left town around 7 PM. After unloading the car I was @ the motel. After a false chance of a possible ride the next day into Timmins, I spoke w/ the lady @ the front desk. She said he husband might be able to help. About 10 minutes later & asked how did $200 sound? I said OK & I'd fill his vehicle in Chapleau & Timmins. He'd pick me up at 8 AM. We got the sled loaded on his trailer & off we went. We rolled into the Cedar Meadows around 10:30 AM.

I called 30cal4me & he was @ the bus station waiting to head to the Watershed Truck Stop where Ron was going to pick him up & he was going to drive his truck & trailer back to Timmins to load the 2 ailing sleds.

The next morning we were checking the trailer before loading the sick sleds & noticed that the RH frame rail was cracked & the centre spring hanger mount. I said I'd seen a steel fab shop on Riverside Dr. We hauled the trailer over to the shop. The guys at Steeltec were able to weld a 4' plate on the side of the rail.

At 1st it was thought that the 2 others might want to ride down to Gowganda, but the decision was made just to load up the sleds Sat' morning & head back to Peterboro. Going to Gowganda would just mean unnecessary miles on the trailer.

In Peterboro this morning we tried to start my sled to unload it from the trailer & load it in my truck so I can drop it off @ the dealer. Well now it will only run on the PTO side. Leave it on the trailer & figure we can load it onto the little utility trailer on 1 cylinder. Untarp it in Apsley & it fires on both cylinders :banghead: . Well it loaded for the dealer's tomorrow & bro has the other sled partially disassembled to make some tooks for the jackshaft bearing R & R (shaft is pooched as well).

Well tomorrow night, I'll try to post a day by day report when I was running.

BTW, the other half of the twins were in Gowganda. I wasn't talking to Good, but the S-I-L was talking to her while she watched her little guy ride his Mini Z around in fron t of the store.

I hear yeah. I change all the bearings, jack, speedo, chaincase every 8k kms. Never had one fail on the trail. I find they don't last much longer then that, unless you get a pile of miles in one season.

We've never had a jackshaft bearing go even w/ all the miles we put on in all these years. From now on it will be an item to change.

Normally the speedo bearing goes first. Mine were all rusty with missing ball bearings at 9600kms. They normally start to shake and Vibrate before failing. Takes me 5 hours and costs me about 80 bucks in parts to do it. The new xps use a bigger 3" bearing that are built to last longer.

Sorry to hear of you mis-adventure revrnd. That's tough going. On a more positive note, I returned today from 6 day ride w my son and had a great trip. Left wawa mon 20th and returned sat 25th, 1100 miles and no troubles. Trails were not perfect but generally very good.

Archived