Ice Caves

claudie

So much for someone saying they wouldn't be that good this winter. I've never seen them. Great pic!

awesome pic!!!

looks awesome, never been there myself gottta make a trip, these are by kearny ? off the d trail

looks awesome, never been there myself gottta make a trip, these are by kearny ? off the d trail

Yes, through Kearney heading east, past Ravensworth, turn on AL301. AL301 dead end,s at Dewfish lake ( it's about 6 miles from D trail). You'll see all the tracks across the lake - the caves are across this small lake. I'm going to say it's about 20 or 21 miles from Kearney right to the caves.

That was our first time out there. We met some sledders there who said they've seen it even better, but it was awesome yesterday. Great trails out there too.

Claudie took the pic. That's me standing inside the cave.

the ice caves are awesome to see. I have pics from a few years ago that are stunning.

Good pic. That is a keeper.

we might try that run on Tues if the trails are still in shape

Gonna try and get there ourselfs on tues. Ride'n a zr 9oo black and red wife on a teal and black indy touring trail pull'n a teal ski-boose with a roll cage... Can't miss us! Lol say hi if ya see us

Hoping to get there for the first time when we are running out of north Bay 1st week of March

The ice caves are pretty awesome to see. we tend to ride over every season to check them out.

I am hoping to get to the ice caves with my little guy (if I get my sled back in time) on family day Monday, never been to these ones. Went a few years to the ices caves back on doonuts ride and ever since then my son has been bugging me to go. I showed him the picture above and now hes all excited, I hope the weather holds up and my sled gets fixed.

4MY

Want to take a trip up with my son, I would usually ride up from Parry Sound, however it would be too long of a ride from my son. Is there anyway of dropping somewhere closer. I would like to have about 60- 100 mile round trip.Any suggestions on where to drop for the day would be greatly appreciated.

4MY

Yes, you can drop at the Visitor Center on the 400 at Emsdale, from there it's a nice ride to the Caves.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am going to try again for this weekend. The drop off spot, the visitors centre, do I get off the HWY? I have been there many times on my sled but rarley in the area by car. I want to get a pretty good idea before I leave as I do not like to drive without knowing where exactly I am going, when I have my son in the car. I get the questions, are we there yet, how much longer, where is it, is there going to be other people there.

Exit 244 off Hwy 11. The visitor center is right there as soon as you exit. The trail passes right behind the building - you'll see other sleds unloading & tracks out of the parking lot.

thanks ever so much, hope to see some of you on the trails as this appears to be the last weekend looking at the forecasts.

Then get on d123 and take the trail across the road from visitor centre. Head towards Burk falls. Stunning trail through steep ridges. Take it past Burke falls and you will pass through a few more ridges. When d123 comes up to a tee. If there is no snow on the road take the lake access route. Then get off and take al305 towards sand lake. Goes in a circle and follow it until you see a sign for sliversands, pretty sure it I'd trail 302. Have lunch there and then go across sand lake past

the island and you will see a landing trail to your left heading into edge water. Should be lots of tracks. Go through there parking lot and you will see the trail. Follow it out to the top d and go right at the T, towards Kearny. The. Another 8pm you will come up to al301. Follow it back to the ice caves. Then you can take d back thru Kearny and turn on d123. This is a great day loop. Approx 125km.

Be careful on D123 north of Burk's Falls - those steep hills have not been groomed as of yesterday and are EXTREMELY rough. I would avoid that area for a nicer ride IMO. I would take the D-123 to D east to Kearney and then North to Ice Caves. Lunch at either Edgewater, Silversands. then take 303 to 305 for a nice ride through the Deer Yards...lotsa deer in there...back into Kearney.....OR you could take 303 to D123 south back to Emsdale. Just avoid D-123 north of Pickeral Lake for a better ride

thanks for all the info. Finally got out yesterday, although a later start than planned. Trails were in pretty good shape, however there were a lot of trees down. I was able to move 2 off the trails, smaller pines I was able to snap. Followed the D123 to D and then to the caves, back through Silver Sands and then followed the 303 to the 302 back to D123 through Burks Falls and back the Emsdale. A lot of road running, which if we get any type of warm up will be toast.

We did not see the deer Yards, however we did see deer on the trail, so my little guy was extremely happy with that. Took a lot of pics and I must say it was the best trip of the season. The drive was brutal both coming and going but well worth it.

4my

thanks for all the info. Finally got out yesterday, although a later start than planned. Trails were in pretty good shape, however there were a lot of trees down. I was able to move 2 off the trails, smaller pines I was able to snap. Followed the D123 to D and then to the caves, back through Silver Sands and then followed the 303 to the 302 back to D123 through Burks Falls and back the Emsdale. A lot of road running, which if we get any type of warm up will be toast.

We did not see the deer Yards, however we did see deer on the trail, so my little guy was extremely happy with that. Took a lot of pics and I must say it was the best trip of the season. The drive was brutal both coming and going but well worth it.

4my

Glad you had a good and safe trip and the little guy enjoyed it :) Next time take the 305 (which is off 303 before you get to D123) - that is called "Bob's Way" and that is where the deer "yard up" for the winter. Always deer in there....but glad you were able to see them anyway!

• 1 year later...

Me too --- tough to see the dates on a Blackberry screen.

Anyhow, an update on the caves would be appreciated.

Archived