Gravenhurst Staging Areas

2bsledding

Gravenhurst Staging Areas

Some snowmobile friendly businesses in Gravenhurst that support Snowcrest Riders Snowmobile Club in many ways such as, donations, Purchasing Trail Guide Ads, donating prizes and food for events, have raised a concern with the Club.

Snowcrest Riders and the Town of Gravenhurst have made available and maintain free of charge to snowmobilers, three staging areas within the town. Combined, these staging areas will hold about 70 trucks with trailers with overnight parking allowed. One staging area has a ramp supplied by the Club to unload and load sleds from the back of trucks. The concern these businesses have that Snowcrest Riders have monitored and confirmed, is that the majority of people using the staging areas depart the staging areas and head north. Most riders return later in the day, load their sleds up and head home. These staging areas and other businesses parking lots within the Town have been packed full each weekend and up to half full during the week. However, the businesses that support Snowcrest Riders see very little in the way of sledders stopping in to purchase food and refreshments. Some are starting to question why continue to support? They see hundreds of sleds driving by their doors in the morning, and again at the end of the day without stopping in.

It is so very important that Clubs have the support of their local businesses. These business owners and staff in Gravenhurst are very friendly to snowmobilers. You can find a list of these businesses on Snowcrest Riders web site at www.snowcrestriders.com. Many of these businesses are within a minute or two from the staging areas.

Snowcrest Riders are asking sledders that are able to take advantage of these staging areas to support the Club by supporting those businesses that support Snowcrest Riders in Gravenhurst and snowmobiling in general.

Bob Clarke

President - Snowcrest Riders Snowmobile Club

Dear Bob:

Kindly remind your businesses of the time when Leander McBitter (can't remember her real name) and a group of landowners closed the trails due to some protest on their part and how badly they suffered during this time.

I don't use the parking areas, but they act as incentives to any sledders coming to Gravenhurst.

I pass through there on my way to Parry Sound most weekends, buy gas and a snack, but have no idea if where I buy stuff supports the club or not. Not sure it really matters, as I am leaving some money in the community which might make its way to other businesses through supply cycles etc. Everyone benefits as a result.

So whether the businesses are noticing a down turn in spending (as is everyone else in the province, whether through a poor snow season, or the fact that the banks, cable companies, phone companies, and others of that ilk have just tacked on a new pile of user fees, or food has gone up 15% or gas has gone up again) they should be cognizant that getting potential spenders there in the first place is a good idea.

Seeing as how "the lots are full or half full on weekdays" have any of the businesses tried a promotion for these potential customers? Even a slip of paper under windshielf wiper blades listing the businesses or some specials for sledders might get a few in. Maps around the community are also handy as well for those that don't know the area. Myself, didn't find the KFC for about the first 4 years I was through there.

Dear Bob:

Kindly remind your businesses of the time when Leander McBitter (can't remember her real name) and a group of landowners closed the trails due to some protest on their part and how badly they suffered during this time.

I don't use the parking areas, but they act as incentives to any sledders coming to Gravenhurst.

I pass through there on my way to Parry Sound most weekends, buy gas and a snack, but have no idea if where I buy stuff supports the club or not. Not sure it really matters, as I am leaving some money in the community which might make its way to other businesses through supply cycles etc. Everyone benefits as a result.

So whether the businesses are noticing a down turn in spending (as is everyone else in the province, whether through a poor snow season, or the fact that the banks, cable companies, phone companies, and others of that ilk have just tacked on a new pile of user fees, or food has gone up 15% or gas has gone up again) they should be cognizant that getting potential spenders there in the first place is a good idea.

Seeing as how "the lots are full or half full on weekdays" have any of the businesses tried a promotion for these potential customers? Even a slip of paper under windshielf wiper blades listing the businesses or some specials for sledders might get a few in. Maps around the community are also handy as well for those that don't know the area. Myself, didn't find the KFC for about the first 4 years I was through there.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. They are always welcome. There are a number of very positive things that we have been discussing recently with the Town of Gravenhurst to improve our snowmobile community while supporting local businesses. I am presenting to Town Council again next Tuesday.

The idea of slips of paper under windshields of vehicles in the staging areas, was something that we did at one time. The Town had concerns with papers scattered all over the parking areas and neighbours properties. The Town paid for and erected sign boards at Gull Lk Park and other areas for the purpose of posting our Club Trail Guide. The Trail Guide shows all of the businesses that support the Club as well as their location on the trail(s). Most of our sponsor businesses also have a supply of our Trail Guides. Unfortunately, KFC in Gravenhurst is not a Club supporter. As the Club supports students with their 40 hour community service they require for their diplomas, we also supplied a high school student with materials to build a number of boxes that would hold our trail guides. These boxes are located on "you are here" signs throughout our trail system, and we try to keep them stocked.

Your suggestions do support the fact, that we as a Club need to continue to think outside the box, to find other ways to advertise support for the businesses that support us and the recreation of snowmobiling.

Oh and Leander McBitter? In the last year, she has purchased 2 properties that one of our Club trails have gone through for many years. She wasted no time, shutting down both sections. The most recent was last week.

Thanks for the info. Certainly the fact that the parking areas exist at all suggests that Gravenhurst is sledder friendly. After my experience recently trying to get information for another district and having a tough time, the sledder friendly attitude is a real plus.

As for McBitter, maybe it's time to start running some U.S. style election attack adds on the radio....

"Leander McBitter hates supporting charitable events...........why else would she close snowmobiling trails prior to a women's sledding fund raiser to help defeat womens' breast cancer?....or deny access to snowmobilers raising money to fight prostate cancer?.........when her group comes to you for asking for support, ask Leander McBitter why she hates supporting charitable causes! ..................Leander McBitter's selfish attitude isn't needed here in our caring community. Speak up for snowmobilers, their charitable causes, and the business they bring to our region".

I sincerely hope that some marketing strategy will work for your parking sledders. Just used KFC as an example of how difficult it is for strangers to the town to find things. Next time I get chicken, I will ask why they aren't supporting you guys.

Archived