We made it to Wawa from Seachmont

nethawk

First I want to say not everyone should try this not only considering the gas situation but if you break down our get hurt you are alooong way from help. Temps were mild so we had that much on our side and took plenty of gas.

We parked 26 klicks north of Searchmont on Whitman dam Rd. with the fishermen. took us 6 hours to get to the Bristol. There was kind of a tough stretch between north of 1/2 way and the Crossover Rd., that 12 miles took us 1.5 hours because of branches across the trail but we had fun for awhile. The snow had settled so we were not to hard on gas. Petty nice ride actually but must be a group out of Chaplea really tore up the hydroline south of 1/2way, It WAS untracked north of there though. A group had come down from wawa to Tik road so that part was already passable for us as far as limbs. Never saw a sled our anybody for that matter on the way back Saturday. The trails into Wawa really seemed deserted.

post-20215-0-43694300-1328499770_thumb.jpg

There was kind of a tough stretch between north of 1/2 way and the Crossover Rd., that 12 miles took us 1.5 hours because of branches across the trail but we had fun for awhile.

So - you didn't take the Bauparlante Road?

You took the hydro?

So the bridge is still semi passable?

That thing was getting real bad several yrs ago...

Very jealous - looks awesome!

Yeah I know what you mean, AC+YA post a week or so ago the snow they were in looked pretty good

OX, I thought Crossover started north of 1/2way by the warming hut we took the new trail around to Tik. Baupartlant Rd. goes east off Crossover I thought ,correct me if I'm wrong? My map shows evac site 33 for where Baupartlant starts We tried going north on the Hydro last year (old trail) and I think I saw the bridge you are talking about. There was enough snow on it to get across once for one guy. So yes that bridge was done.

No Ox. I'm sure they took the regular route from Halfway. 10 miles of power line etc to the beaupartlant rd then 5 miles or so to the crossover rd. The old bridge near Regan lk has fallen apart many years ago.

The easy way to go would have been to leave halfway on the loop lake rd (the road steve normally plows) this will take you to the crossover if you don't turn on the much lk rd like the trucks do to get to the highway. Maybe 10 more kms but easy going.

Yeah, Bauparlante is the rd that crosses the hydro at the warmup shack just N of Halfway.

That T bones into Crossover.

Then when you head west on Crossover you go back under the hydro aggin, and then turn N on Tik up to the hydro aggin.

Crossover parrallels 101 and links many other roads and dead ends at a retired R/R siding.

BTW - Yeah - you're prolly right.... First guy can git accrost the bridge.

So sad - too bad for the second guy. LOL!

If you go through there in the summer you see an old car down in there.

Seems like it's an old Bug?

We will forsure keep all that info in mind. Nice to have alternate routes. But was nice to break that trail in north of halfway. Made things interesting!!

They might be thinking about logging back south west of Halfway (Aton) like they did last year because loop Rd was plowed. It had 6-8 inches of snow on it but I am guessing they plowed in from 101. Also Toll creek was plowed and they took that on south to Ranger North Rd. aways too.

No Ox. I'm sure they took the regular route from Halfway. 10 miles of power line etc to the beaupartlant rd then 5 miles or so to the crossover rd. The old bridge near Regan lk has fallen apart many years ago.

The easy way to go would have been to leave halfway on the loop lake rd (the road steve normally plows) this will take you to the crossover if you don't turn on the much lk rd like the trucks do to get to the highway. Maybe 10 more kms but easy going.

How many more yrs doo you think you can git by bypassing that bridge?

The last time I was at that bridge was about 8 years ago. At that time it only had the steel beams left and most of the cross timbers had rotted off. There was no way you could cross it then.

Do you mean how long until we wouldn't be able to use the crossover and beaubartland rd? That would depend on logging. We ussually find out about that about the time the logging starts. :lol: :lol

@ nethawk. I believe the last few years the road has been plowed all the way through from hwy 101 to hwy 17.

The price of pulpwood per cord finally got to a level in January, that makes it worthwhile to send loggers back in to the bush.

CN Rail is starting to spot rail cars at Batchewana rail siding this month and they expect business to pick up . Our Northern Ontario communities need the work ! Slowly places in Michigan that buy pulpwood are asking their old providers to get back on board.

The price of pulpwood per cord finally got to a level in January, that makes it worthwhile to send loggers back in to the bush.

CN Rail is starting to spot rail cars at Batchewana rail siding this month and they expect business to pick up . Our Northern Ontario communities need the work ! Slowly places in Michigan that buy pulpwood are asking their old providers to get back on board.

Good to hear.

In the short term yes the logging can mess things up for us sledders, but once thy're done there are roads that can be used for trails.

• 3 years later...

Well I know this post was from 2012 but thought I would mention Halfway has new owners and the Tops D trail is back again for the 2015/2016 season. Was going to try driving there few days ago but didn't have my GPS and nobody else had driven the trail to mark a path for me

Archived